Chapter 64 - Khalkha

Start from the beginning

"Home," he said. "It's been so long."

"Five years, maybe more."

He nodded. "Like it?"

"Any place with you is fine with me." She stroked his cheek. "But a home ... together. I think I must be dreaming."

He pulled her into an embrace, their heads resting on each other's shoulders. "I couldn't do this without you. Welcome home."

"Master Luke!"

The couple pulled apart, shielding their bond once more.

"It's all sealed up. Got a security code?" Tandolleau yelled from the front entrance down the hill.

Naluma laughed. "Patience, Padawan. Patience." They trotted down the hill to the expansive hunting lodge.

Luke surveyed the rough stone structure with a main entrance in the center and two sprawling wings. It was much larger than Taznek had led him to believe. When Luke punched in the security code, nothing happened.

Padawan Jannah said, "Maybe we should start up the power first."

"Good idea," Luke said with a nod. "Kallay, the generator is south of this building. You and Kalder head down there and start up the generator. Here's the instructions." He offered the datapad.

Kallay looked at Master Luke with an impudent grin. "Keep it, Master Luke. I think I can handle this one." Kallay was a medium-sized female with messy, short, brown hair. What she lacked on personal appearance she made up for in technical know-how. 

Her twin brother Kalder sported the same messy short brown hair, but his talents lay along a different line. Looking younger than his seventeen years, the slender teen used his youthful appearance to his utmost abilities. He could out-bargain every trader. He could procure any information, whether from a person or a machine. To him, bargaining and information were games—and sometimes they were the same.

Soon, the power generator sprang to life, and the access pad glowed with power. After Luke punched in the code again, the main doors creaked open, sliding to either side with strain.

 After Luke punched in the code again, the main doors creaked open, sliding to either side with strain

❷ Naluma added gear lubrication to her growing list on her datapad. They entered the massive lobby of the stacked granite lodge. A gigantic river-rock fireplace dominated the room, and heavy beams held up the ceiling and lined the walls. Dustsheets protected the furniture, but no dust covered them. The blast doors had hermetically sealed the room.

Padawan Tandolleau ripped off a dustsheet before jumping onto couch. "Comfy," he said, crossing his legs on the table in front of him.

All of a sudden a loud, strange noise passed through the building. Jannah jumped and screamed, "What is that, Master Luke? Some creature?"

Luke felt around the immediate area and felt nothing. "No."

Kalder and Kallay entered the room as the sound continued and Jannah screamed again.