Chapter 5 Buzz of the Town

Start from the beginning

"I apologise for this idiot. We are the new cooks, Jason called us." the elderly man said

"Yes Mr. McTern said you'd be coming in today."

Both men raised a brow at me. I felt heat rush to my cheeks at the way they smiled at me. Grabbing the thick menu from behind me I handed them to the new cooks.

"This is everything we make, everything you need to know about the food we serve is in there."

The elderly man nodded his head and flipped through the papers. He was obviously impressed by the way he kept nodding. I'm glad he isn't criticising like Jason.

The younger one grabbed the cup of coffee I set for Jason. He made a face as he swallowed forcefully.

"Its bitter." he complained

"It's the way Mr. McTern likes it. Here." I said handing him a regular coffee

Satisfied he flashed me another pearly smile. No doubt he practiced that smile in the mirror. I handed the other man a cup as well.

"Thank you Gracie." the elderly man said

"Can I get you anything else Mr. .." I stopped realising I didn't know his name

"Tom Ruiz but call me Tom." he said sticking his hand out for me to shake

I shook it liking this man already. He reminded me of a kind father. Tom let go of my hand and pointed to the man sitting next to him.

"This moron is Liam Smith."

Liam grabbed my hand lifting it up to his mouth. He brushed his lips to my knuckles. I pulled my hand away feeling the heat rush up to my face.

Tom slapped him over the head. Liam rubbed the back of his head staring daggers at Tom.

"Ignore him Gracie, he is a hound dog with no limit."

Liam took a sip of his coffee his eyes gleaming mischievously. Flipping Liam's paper open I turned to today's menu. I turned the paper around to them.

"I set the pans up and cut some vegetables since today is our omelet special."

Tom leaned back a wide smile on his face revealing a set of slightly crooked teeth. Even Liam nodded his head seeming impressed. I didn't know whether that was a good thing or not.

Tom turned in his seat to check the diner out. This probably wasn't as big as the fancy restaurant he worked in before. Heck our kitchen was about the size of lunch wagon.

"You don't seem to have any business." Liam snorted

I narrowed my eyes at him. Leave it to Jason to get cooks who think just like him. "Believe me we get busy."

"I'll say." a deep gruff voice said

Jason swung the diner door open a small smile playing on his lips. Liam turned to him and stuck his hand out.

"If it isn't the king of darkness himself. How have you been you old crank?" he chuckled as they did that weird man handshake

Tom shook Jason's hand . "How have you been kid?"

"Same old." Jason answered simply

Even with these two Jason seems in a brighter mood. Was it me that caused him to get all moody?

Jason turned to me his smile vanishing. At the moment his cold eyes met mine I was reminded of yesterday's incident. He took me by surprise with his sudden flirting and knee buckling smile.

The way he looked at me yesterday with a small glimmer of a emotion I didn't know. Even the way he held my hands. My heart sped up at the memory of his hand on my cheek. I felt the same butterflies from yesterday.