ı 23 ı As Long as You're With Me

˙ ˙ ˙

"My head's underwater but I'm breathing fine."

˙ ˙ ˙

BLAIR POV

Falling asleep beside someone and waking up with them the next morning is one of the best feelings I've ever experienced. All those years of thinking I was dead and alone has led me to this moment where I find myself beside the only person I have ever truly felt comfortable and alive with. Everything about James is beauty in my eyes, and it means everything in the world to me that he's still here after all we've been through.

Bonnie decided to keep the vail open for a little bit longer, promising that she would take it down tonight. She figured we all deserved a day to see our loved ones a little longer, people like Jeremy, Alaric, and Lexi.

As sunlight fills James's room I begin to stir in my sleep, rolling over from James's arm where my head lays so I am looking him in the eyes, only to find he is already looking at me. His face is filled with sadness as he stares down at me, sending an array of confusion sparking through me. "What's wrong?" I ask, reaching a hand up to cup his face.

He seems oddly stressed for someone who helped take down Silas. I thought he'd be happier now that we've solved that problem. "Nothing," he whispers, taking my hand from his cheek and bringing it up to his lips where he places a firm kiss on it.

I smile and close my eyes, laying my head back down on his arm as we lay there in silence. Then all of a sudden he speaks up again, forcing my eyes open. "I love you, Blair," he says firmly, pressing his lips to the top of my hair. "Never forget that."

His kind words surprise me, but also confuse me. His mood all morning has been off, and almost seems as if we're running out of time, but I know that's impossible. With my memories back, Silas gone, and the originals out of town, we have all the time in the world to figure ourselves out.

"How could I forget?" I smile, leaning up to place a kiss on his lips.

I melt in the kiss as my stomach explodes with butterflies as they usually do whenever I'm around James. I could stay here forever, and usually I would except for the fact that it's graduation today. I myself am not going to graduate considering I've only gone to high school in Mystic Falls for two days. However, I did promise Caroline that I would go to support her, Elena, Bonnie and my twin who are all graduating.

"I'm going to have a shower. Meet you downstairs," I smile, before taking off down the hall to my bathroom.

JAMES POV

I lay in bed watching as Blair leaves, hating every inch of myself for not telling her the truth. For not telling her that our future together isn't possible because I'm only visible to her right now due to the vail that is lifted. I can't find the heart to tell her that today is our last day together, because I don't want it to be spent in sorrow, but rather happiness. I don't want to give her false information when I could in fact be revived if Bonnie successfully completes the spell she's attempting.

As far as I know Bonnie is planning on using her enhanced power from the moon tonight to bring back Jeremy, Alaric and I. Although I know I should be happy knowing there's a chance I will live to see another day, a small part of me refuses to believe and put all my faith in the false hope. It's not that I don't trust Bonnie, but rather I know realistically the amount of power it takes to revive one person never mind three. All that power will kill Bonnie, and that's something I can't allow.

As Blair has her shower, I walk downstairs where Lexi, Stefan and Joel are all chatting about. As soon as I walk into the room however, their chatter stops.