ı 26 ı The Last Time

˙ ˙ ˙

"I miss they way that you saw me or maybe the way I saw myself."

˙ ˙ ˙

THE reality of everything that's unfolded in the past few hours is too surreal, too intangible.

Not even the soothing rhythmic sound of the truck roaming on the highway is enough to calm me down, as frankly there's nothing to be calm about. Alaric is hunting for Klaus as we speak with his sole original weapon leaving everyone I care about lives on the line. Not to mention Caroline and Tyler have fled town, courtesy of Alaric who busted the council members for having a vampire as a daughter and hybrid as a son.

I'm jammed, too full of information that I can't process it all. I feel like a paper shredder, trying to diminish all my problems but now I'm stuck, making it impossible to move forward.

In the end after a deep yet quick discussion, Damon and Stefan stayed behind to watch Elena as James and I hull Klaus's coffin to a warehouse. Damon made us bring Bonnie who trails in her car behind us, arguing that she needed to jam the locater spell on Klaus so no one can find him. It's been silent the whole ride, giving me the assumption James's brain is just as jammed as mine is. It's only the ringing of James's phone that disrupts the silence.

"Elijah," James greets, glancing warily at me. I listen closely to Elijah's words on the other line.

"James, I need Klaus's coffin," he demands politely.

"I can't Elijah, you know that," James says calmly.

"I've arranged a deal with Elena that she hands over Klaus in exchange that we scatter leading Alaric to follow us once I am in possession of the stake he holds," Elijah explains.

"So that's it? You're just going to run? Give up your life again? What happened to living? You deserve better Elijah, there has to be another way. There is another way," James compromises.

Elijah hesitates. "I'm sorry James, but it's out of your hands. The deal has been set. Finish bringing him to the warehouse, and I'll send Rebekah. We'll talk later," Elijah says before hanging up.

James and I exchange glances but neither of us say anything. I can't bring myself to imagine why Elijah would want to keep Alaric chasing after them just so Elena could have a long healthy human life, but it's not my choice. I can see the hurt on James's face as his friend chose to give up his life again when he just started living it, but once again, it wasn't our choice.

We arrive at the warehouse and unload the coffin, placing it in a random storage locker, hidden the best we could manage. This place is full of thousands of locker rooms, meaning it'll take Alaric forever to find him, if he even finds this place.

James and I leave Bonnie inside with Klaus while she does her spell, insisting that she needs space. I understand, seeing as Klaus has taken away so many things from her just as he has me.

"Elijah's sending Rebekah to pick up Klaus's body. She'll be here any minute," James says, taking a seat on the couch beside me I found laying about amongst the other junk stored in this place. Bonnie left a few minutes ago, finished with the spell.

"I don't understand why we don't just leave him here," I mutter. It's a perfectly good hiding spot.

"I don't k-"

James is cut off by the ring of the door, signaling that Rebekah is here. We both get up and round the corner to meet Rebekah, when suddenly James is pinned against the wall by none other than Alaric.