ı 02 ı My Broken Light

˙ ˙ ˙

"I've been putting out fires all my life. Everybody wants a flame, but they don't want to get burnt."

˙ ˙ ˙

JAMES POV

"Hey, I'm here! Where do you guys want the punch?" Caroline asks, as she barges through the front door. "I didn't bring any alcohol. I figured Damon already had plenty of that."

I sit on the chair by the fireplace, reading the newspapers for any new stories or 'animal attacks'.

"Hello?" Caroline asks again when no one answers.

"I don't know," I say, my mind too occupied to care about a little birthday party.

I hear her put the boxes down and listen as her light footsteps get closer to me.

She sits beside me, causing me to glace over at her. She smiles at me, and I smile awkwardly back before turning my attention back to the reading.

"Whatcha doing?" she asks.

"Reading," I say.

"I see that. What are you reading," she asks.

"I'm looking for any clues for Blair and Stefan," I sigh, not in the mood to chat.

She moves closer beside me and places a hand on my shoulder.

"Hey," she says.

I turn towards her.

"I know Blair and Stefan haven't contacted any of us because they don't want to worry us. I know they're trying to protect us. But, I too want to find them. And I know we'll find them. I know we will. But for now, I don't think we should be stressing ourselves out when we know they're okay, for now," Caroline says.

"I know. I also know what Klaus is capable of, and I don't want him to destroy Blair," I say.

"I think the only thing you can do for now is to let her know you still care. Let her have something to hang on to," Caroline says, pointing to her head.

Over the past month Caroline and I have developed a closer relationship. Her and Matt aren't on the best of terms now that he knows about everything. We told him the truth together, but that didn't keep him from breaking up with Caroline. Not only had Matt found out about her vampirism, but her mother had too. However, surprisingly her mother seemed more calm about it than Matt. Despite that, Caroline has been by my side all this time. She's a raging optimist while Damon is a mellow pessimists. They're really polar opposites of each other.

I've realized now why Blair trusts her so much and that leads me to trust her too, even with the secret Blair and I have; the telepathathic communication link.