ı 05 ı The Hunter

˙ ˙ ˙ 

"You're my end and my beginning. Even when I lose I'm winning." 

˙ ˙ ˙ 

I NEVER  really respected the patience and tolerance mothers have for their babies until now. I have gone a full night without any sleep, partly because of the fact that this mystery hunter is some magical being with an invisible tattoo only Jeremy Gilbert can see, and partly because Theodore won't stop crying.

I get up several times in the middle of the night to the sound of Theo crying. The nurse warned me about this, saying that it was going to take time for him to get used to this new place and new people. Every time I get up and enter the office next to my room where his crib is set up, I cradle him in my arms until he falls asleep again. Of course he only falls asleep for about twenty minutes before he wakes up again and begins crying. It's an incessant and tedious cycle, but eventually I manage to put him to sleep allowing me some peace and quiet.

At least I thought I would get some peace and quiet. I wake yet once again from his cries, but this time the sun was shining brightly through my windows meaning I have finally made it through the first night of having Theodore in the house. I groan and clench my hair in my fists as Theo continues to cry, forcing me out of bed.

When I reach his room however, the crying stops as I turn the corner and find James holding little Theo, steadily in his strong arms. It's a cute sight really, so I stand back and watch the two, a small smile appearing on James's face as he coddles Theo in his arms. In a way Theo saved James from destroying himself of all the guilt built up inside of him, and in the end we saved Theo. So I guess you could say Theo and James saved each other, and watching them finally interact is enough to bring butterflies to my stomach and warmth to my heart.

Still smiling, I walk to the room and knock on the door, turning James's attention from Theo to me. "Sorry, I ah, heard him crying," I say, approaching the two.

James smiles and looks back down at Theo. "I did too. I thought I'd try and calm him down this time. Figured you could use some sleep," he says.

"Thank you," I smile. "Did you not hear him throughout the night?" I ask.

"No surprisingly. I only heard him this morning when I got up. Maybe we should've placed his crib beside Damon's room," James smirks.

I laugh. "He would love that," I say sarcastically. We stand there staring at Theo as he stares back up at us, searching our eyes. "Hey James," I ask.

"Mmm?" he says, still smiling down at Theo who has a hand grasped onto his finger.

"Do you think this was a bad idea? To bring him into our lives? To bring him into the chaotic and disastrous life we live?" I ask quietly.

James turns his head from Theo to me, a serous yet gentle look on his face as he thinks of what to say. "Maybe," he admits honestly. "But maybe this is what we need. A little normal to be the calm of the storm." 

I smile at his words, thankful that he understands seeing as my brothers don't seem to. Before we can say anything more my phone rings.

"What is it Damon?" I greet.

"Hi Blair, good morning to you too," he greets sarcastically. "You know how Klaus and Elijah said they captured the hunter?"

"Yes," I say.

"Yeah, well he's escaped and taken Matt, April Young and Jeremy hostage at the Grill," Damon blurts out.

James looks over at me, hearing what Damon said. "What?" I exclaim.