ı 09 ı I'll Catch You

˙ ˙ ˙

"Strike the match, strike the match now. We're a perfect match, perfect somehow."

˙ ˙ ˙

DAYS SEEM to be weeks during this quest to find this cure, leaving the rest of us who are uninterested in it's whereabouts suffering the stress that's been passed between all of us.

Luckily Theo's magic hasn't been a major problem as he only does things unintentionally like picking up bags of cookies or bottles of milk. He's also been walking around the house more which has led to our search for a nanny. James and I have been searching for a nanny for a few days, offering interviews and searching the internet. We know very well that we could just compel someone to watch Theo, but we've suffered enough of the wrath of compulsion to know how it feels. We want this to be real, and we want someone who wants to be a nanny to watch over Theo.

After interviewing several nannies, James and I find ourselves exhausted. Instead we end up watching several movies, all of which from the Star Wars Trilogy. James insisted that I watch it, saying it was one of the greatest series of all times. Knowing I have missed a lot over 145 years, I agreed to watch the fourth, fifth and sixth movies after James told me that's the order I should watch them in. It makes no sense to me why I wouldn't just watch them from in the right order, but I know better than to argue about it, especially with James who seems to be a total geek when it comes to these sort of films.

By now we've reached the fifth movie, and although I'm shy to admit it, I'm fascinated by the story. As we watch Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader fight, James places his hands on his head in a stressful stance and grips his hair, staring at the screen.

"What's your problem?" I laugh, noticing his actions.

"Just listen! This is the greatest reveal of all time!" he says, pointing to the screen.

I laugh but look back at the screen, my mouth soon open in shock as Luke loses his hand, and Darth Vader reveals that he his in fact Luke's father.

"You can't tell me you didn't see that coming," I say, laughing at him.

He shakes his head but he can't hide his huge grin. "You're not invested enough," James says.

For the rest of the movie we sit together on the couch in the TV room. By the time we finish it, it's five in the afternoon and the house is completely empty. Joel took Theo to the park hours ago saying that he couldn't stand my yelling at the screen every time something horrible happened.

I've been meaning to clear things up with James over the past few days, but I haven't found the time. My encounter with Klaus still clings in the back of my mind, angering me yet feeding my curiosity all at the same time. I know the only way to calm the storm inside my mind is to talk to James.

"James, can I ask you something?" I ask, leaning my head on the back of the couch.

"Of course," he says, turning off the movie.

"How come we never...," I trail off, not knowing how to put my thoughts into words.

"Dated?" he guesses, knowing exactly what's on my mind.

I laugh nervously and nod. "Yeah, like how come we've never taken our friendship any further?" I ask.

James sighs and shifts in his seat, leaning his head on his hand. "I value our friendship, Blair, and I didn't want to push for something that might add more confusion to the chaotic world we live in. There hasn't really been a right time, and frankly I didn't want to ruin our friendship," James explains, making me feel a million times better. "Why do you ask?"