ı 20 ı The Perfect Lie

˙ ˙ ˙

"You're dripping like a saturated sunrise, you're spilling like an overflowing sink."

˙ ˙ ˙

IN some ways, my brothers are like children- they always have been, and they always will be. If you don't keep your eye on them, they go off exploring anything that interests them even if it's the most idiotic and dangerous thing you could think of.

Here I am running about as fast as I can manage in a ball gown, scrambling to find my brothers before they get themselves into trouble. James is gone, and I have no doubt he's gone to investigate even though technically that's my job seeing as I've apparently taken the detective role in this family.

As I push my way through the crowd, a hand grabs my shoulder firmly, pulling me back. I spin around and almost smack my attacker in the face only to realize it's Joel. Even when I realize it's Joel, I still punch him in the arm for scaring me.

"Ow!" he yelps. "What the bloody hell was that for?"

"Have you seen my brothers or James?" I question him, ignoring his.

"No, I was looking for them until I saw you," he replies, still rubbing his shoulder. "Why? Do your detective senses sense something?" He smirks, his dimples showing as he holds in a laugh.

This only causes me to smack him in the shoulder once again earning me yet another yelp of pain, before I grab his hand and pull him around as we search every room.

We come across a room with closed door, wasting no time before we open them revealing Damon on the floor, Stefan leaning casually against the book shelf staring at our brother while James sits impatiently in a chair in the corner of the room.

"Did we just walk in on an episode of NCIS? Do you want me to grab the yellow police tape?" Joel gasps, still dramatically holding his shoulder.

"Stefan? What the hell!" I yell as I rush to Damon, feeling no pulse, noticing his broken neck.

"You sure seem to care a lot for him seeing as you two fight all the time. Don't you hate him?" Stefan asks while picking at his nail.

"I do," Joel mutters.

"Sure I hate him, but he's my brother- our brother," I snarl, before getting up and shooting James a questioning look.

"He was like that when I got here," James shrugs. "Apparently Damon was being too protective over Elena, and wouldn't let her talk to Esther," he explains.

"Of course it involves Elena," I murmur. "Why would Esther want to talk to her?" I ask.

"If she claims to be the one who can kill Klaus, then maybe she requires Elena's blood since she's a doppelgänger and doppelgänger blood was used to create them," James says, thinking aloud.

Damon suddenly gasps awake, rubbing the back of his neck as he groans. I help him up, but he shrugs me off, almost toppling me over in the process with my high heels. His stare is directed at only Stefan, and I can sense what's about to come.

Damon sprints over with vamp speed, pinning Stefan against the book shelf making a lot of noise as books tumble over.

"What did you do? Where is Elena!" Damon bellows, demanding answers.

"Exactly where she belongs. Maybe you could stop being such a controlling dick," Stefan says, struggling against his grasp.

"Okay, that's enough," I say, placing a hand on Damon's arm. As soon as I make contact, I know it was a bad move as Damon quite literally growls and shoves me away from him and Stefan, this time however I do fall to the floor. My head hits the wood table making stars cloud my vision.