ı 11 ı Burning Truth

˙ ˙ ˙

"Funny how the heart can be deceiving more than just a couple times."

˙ ˙ ˙

THERE'S AN evident scent of freedom in the air for the two days Klaus had been locked up in Elena's house. Two days my brothers have been on the island, and we're yet to hear from them. The only two people I don't trust on their trip is Professor Shane and Rebekah, but I feel more confident knowing Bonnie is there.

Caroline, Tyler, Joel, James and I have been taking turns watching over Klaus in his confined space of a living room, waiting for the clock to tick down until the spell wares out, hoping that they've found the cure by then.

Caroline and Tyler watched Klaus yesterday, meaning today it's the trio's job to watch over the dog. Can't say I'm excited, but at the same time it's slightly amusing watching Klaus confined helplessly against his will. There's a sick kind of satisfaction I feel from it.

"Oh, good morning," I greet sarcastically, walking in the front door to Elena's house. "Joel, do you think we should fetch some more water for him?" I ask.

"Oh yeah, his bowls looking a little dry. Maybe we should get him a bone too, give him something to entertain himself with," Joel says, playing along.

"Alright, I get it. I'm a helpless dog, but when this spell lifts, you should all be prepared to run," Klaus growls, standing up from his position on the couch.

"Is that a threat coming from the man in the cell?" James asks, mocking him.

Klaus smiles and hums. "You laugh now, but there will be a point when you're going to need that sword. It does decode the hunters mark, and I am the only one who can decode it," Klaus says.

"Oh yeah? Why?" I ask, crossing my arms across my chest.

"Because I'm the only one that understands the language," Klaus shrugs.

James lets out a laugh from beside us. "Aramaic right? I can read that, thank you very much, so your assistance won't be needed." 

Klaus keeps his mouth shut, knowing anything he says won't get him anywhere. James knows just as much as he does, if not more about this language, assuring us that we can help my brothers find the cure without Klaus. God knows there's going to be a fight once the cure is found as I'm confident Elena isn't the only one who wants the cure.

"You guys can go and find the sword. I'll stay here and babysit," I say, turning to Joel and James.

The brothers exchange glances. "You sure?" James asks.

I nod, sending them a light smile. James walks to me and presses a quick but meaningful kiss to my lips before walking out the door with Joel. Still smiling to myself, I turn to the kitchen to find some alcohol to make this day a little more entertaining. I don't know how long it will take them to find the sword seeing as Klaus could've hidden it anywhere in his house, so I can only assume I'm here until nightfall.

"So, are you and James a thing now?" Klaus asks as I open a bottle of scotch from the fridge. Elena surprisingly has a good stock of alcohol in her house.

"We always were sort of a thing, it's just more official now," I say, secretly enjoying the fact that Klaus is feeding off of jealously. Klaus doesn't say anything, so I take a seat in a chair just outside the barrier. "So, how do you feel knowing so many people are going to want to kill you with that cure?" I ask, taking a sip of the scotch.