ı 22 ı Mind Games

˙ ˙ ˙

"You've got a fire inside but your hearts so cold."

˙ ˙ ˙

JAMES POV

I can hear everyone calling my name but the only thing I can feel is the pain in my chest as I stand up, glancing down at my bloodstained shirt with a gaping hole above my heart, blood dripping everywhere.

I glance around in confusion and fear, worried that Silas may still be here only to find he's not. I look at my hands which are not covered in grey veins, and I take in oxygen through my lungs, the feeling igniting my body and making me feel alive. It's weird really, when I swear just a moment ago Silas ripped out my heart. But, I realize now that he was only playing tricks, only messing with my mind.

I turn around to walk back to everyone else only to see that everyone else is already here, surrounding me. Their faces are contorted with different emotions, none of which appear to be happy considering I'm alive, having just escaped death from the worlds oldest immortal. 

"What's going on? Did you not just see that?" I ask in amazement, extremely grateful that I'm alive.

"James," Stefan whispers lowly, tears welling in his eyes.

"What? I almost got killed by Silas and this is your reaction?" I tease, trying to lighten the mood. 

"James, you did get killed by Silas," Bonnie says grimly, her hands trembling as she points to something behind me.

"W-what?" I stutter, turning around slowly to what Bonnie is pointing at. My eyes follow her direction, landing on a dead body laying so peacefully on the ground with a gaping hole in it's chest, the same kind of hole that's in my shirt.

I walk over to the body in silence, observing it. It's covered in grey veins and cold to the touch. I grab the body's shoulder and turn it around, staring at the face. But it's not just any face, it's my face. It's my body. It's how I died. Silas wasn't playing any tricks with me. No, I really did die.

"No," I whisper, placing my hands on the back of my neck, stumbling backwards away from my body. I keep staring at it, blinking rapidly like it will disappear, like all of this is just a dream. Like Silas is getting in my head again, but he's not.

"James?" Joel croaks, tears spilling out his eyes as Lexi drapes an arm around him. He stares at me with such sorrow, such pain that I feel myself slowly falling apart from the inside out, desperately wishing that none of this is real.

"This isn't real. This can't bloody be happening," I whisper, my eyes wide as I keep staring at my own body.

"Oh, but it is bloody happening," Silas suddenly says, appearing as Blair once again as he runs full speed towards us, ready to attack and provoke Bonnie, but instead Bonnie attacks back, raising her hand and radiating magic through her body, sending Silas crumpling to the ground in pain.

She has tears in her eyes and anger written on her face as she gives out every piece of magic she has in her, every piece of magic that can be used towards Silas. "I may not be able to kill you, but I can stop you. This ends now Silas," Bonnie yells, sending a wave of wind flowing through the caves, Silas dropping to the ground in pain.

"I will make every drop of blood clot in your veins, every bone break within your body, every piece of your flesh turn to stone. You won't have powers anymore, Silas. You'll be nothing," she bellows, stepping closer to a struggling Silas who falls to the ground, turning to the wall to collapse.