ı 11 ı House of Cards

˙ ˙ ˙

"My peace has always depended on all the ashes in my wake."

˙ ˙ ˙

BLAIR POV

I don't think as I run. I'm all too familiar to the dangers thinking can have on a person seeing as I had myself convinced I was dead for 145 years.

All those nights spent in the tomb I was confined with nothing but my thoughts. With my mind being the only company I had, I began convincing myself of the craziest things. Once I had myself convinced I was a mummy, buried alive. But the worst was when I had myself convinced I was dead.

Of the 52,925 days I was in that hell of a tomb, I learned that our greatest weakness is our own mind.

Just yesterday, as I almost watched my best friend get her heart ripped out of her chest I felt the tiniest sliver of emotion, my thoughts getting the best of me. At that moment I wanted nothing more than to save my best friend, but my body wouldn't allow it.

It was if my feelings were stacked away in a house of cards, and suddenly one card jumped out of place, threatening to send the rest of them tumbling down.

That's why I ran away. That's why I'm still running. With my emotions off and my mind in a haze, I don't even think of where I'm going, and next thing I know, I'm standing at the front of Klaus's mansion in the early hours of the morning.

Without even thinking, I open the door and storm through the house which is filled with at least a dozen of Klaus's newly turned hybrids, one of them being Tyler Lockwood.

"Blair, sweetheart, what a pleasure it is to see you. I'll have you know that by pleasure, I mean a complete intrusion of my days events, that include everything but you," Klaus snickers as he notices my presence.

"Don't flatter yourself Klaus. A day with you is another day I want to kill myself," I fire back, my mind still numb.

"You know, your attitude Blair is the one thing I haven't missed in our days apart from one another," Klaus remarks.

"Yeah well the one thing I haven't missed is your face," I say with an equal amount of sarcasm.

"Okay Romeo and Juliet, if you two would please conclude this derisive reunion, I could get back to whatever my master pleases," Tyler apathetically says, earning him a glare from Klaus.

Klaus clears his throat. "Yes Blair, please tell me what you are doing here. I thought you would be watching Elena."

I hesitate, not wanting to tell Klaus I was seconds away from turning it all back on. When I don't answer Klaus snaps his fingers viscously. "Sweetheart?" he presses.

"I ah, was just bored," I say.

"So Blair Salvatore goes to a murderous vampire's house when she's bored?" Tyler asks, baffled.

"Watch it Lockwood," Klaus growls.

"Don't you have some puppies to watch over?" I snap, forcing a smile on Klaus's lips. Tyler shakes his head in anger before walking off.

"So Blair, how's Elena doing? Are you and Stefan following through?" Klaus asks.

"Oh you mean the Elena protection program? It's going great," I sneer. In all honestly I haven't seen Stefan in days, nor have I seen Elena but they're not my main concern. Knowing Stefan, he's probably glued to Elena's side.

"Now Blair," Klaus says seriously, "You and I both know there's another reason you came here. Tell me," he compels me.

Ever since the night I turned it off, I kept a small bottle of vervain in my leather jacket pocket with me at all times for moments exactly like this. Each day I've taken a sip, making me invincible against Klaus's compulsion. So I conger up an excuse before Klaus suspects anything.