ı 23 ı We Can Mend

˙ ˙ ˙

"The world is getting colder, strangers passing by. No one offers you a shoulder, no one looks you in the eye."

˙ ˙ ˙

AFTER having a moment, Stefan and I talk for hours about our common problems, cautiously and quietly in case anyone is listening. To be honest I feel bad for him. He doesn't deserve to lose Elena although I always feared this would happen. I can only assure him things will work out, that we will mend each other.

The next morning isn't any better as we're thrown a new problem.

"The magical Gilbert ring Alaric uses turned him into a serial killer?" I ask, confused as we walk down towards the grand opening of the Wickery Bridge. Being founding family members, it's our 'responsibility' to attend, and frankly I don't have anything better to do.

"Apparently there's only so many times you can cheat death until it changes you," Damon shrugs casually.

"And why exactly has Alaric come with us? Shouldn't we be trying to fix him?" I ask, sending a small reassuring smile to Alaric who only rolls his eyes.

"So we can keep an eye on him. As far as we know there's no fixing him. We can only hope that if he keeps the ring off, he'll be fine," James tells us.

I sigh. "Well Rick, I'd say you beat the hell outta that ring. It's only karma," I tease, smacking him jokingly on the back.

"Thanks to your brother," he mutters, referring to all the times he had to use the ring because of Damon.

"Oh brothers," Joel sighs. "Don't they just suck?" he jokes, making James glare back at him.

I laugh as we continue to walk along. I glance back every so often at Stefan who seems to be trailing behind quietly, still overcome with emotion. It's only when I bump into James do I realize we've come to a stop.

"Sorry," I apologize.

He smiles and reaches his arm out, guiding me to a spot beside him so we can witness the unveiling of this stupid, over exaggerated bridge. As far as I know this bridge should be a memorial site seeing as Elena's parents both died on it. As Mayor Lockwood says her speech about the history of the bridge, I can't help but notice Damon and James eyeing a particular red head in the distance.

"Who's she?" I ask, nudging James in the arm.

"Sage, Finn's girlfriend. I haven't seen her in years," James replies.

"If this isn't a blast from the past," Damon snickers, moving to walk towards the girl without thinking twice.

"Damon!" I protest, but he leaves anyways.

After the Mayor finishes her tedious speech, everyone scatters but James heads straight to the posters outlining in excruciating detail everything the Mayor just announced.

"What are you doing?" I question, following suit along with Joel.

He points to a picture on one of the displays, placing his finger on the one of the original Wickery Bridge sign.

"What about it?" I question again.

"It's beautifully boring. I hate history even though I'm practically part of it. I think I'm what makes it so boring," Joel comments, making himself laugh. It's not even the joke that's funny but rather Joel amusing himself.

"It's made of white oak wood. The same original wood made in the creation of the original vampires," James beams.

"Bloody hell," Joel gasps.