ı 22 ı Monster Within

˙ ˙ ˙ 

"When I walk around all of the streets where I grew up and found my feet. They can't look me in the eye, it's like they're scared of me." 

˙ ˙ ˙ 

BLAIR POV

"Shit," I mutter under my breath as I flip the pancake, realizing one side is completely black.

"Why is it that whenever you're cooking, something burns?" Joel asks, sitting across from me. It's just been me and him all morning since everyone else is busy investigating these suspicious murders. I would be investigating them too if it weren't for Joel who refuses to let me out of his sight for some unknown reason. 

"Because I'm that hot," I smirk, flipping the pancake again, letting out a sigh of content when I see it's a perfect tan colour. I slide the pancake onto a plate and pass it to Joel.

"Just ignore the charcoal side," I say jokingly, pouring another batch onto the pan.

"Don't worry, I'm sure if I drown it in syrup, it'll even the taste out," Joel teases.

"Shut up," I laugh, flipping the new pancake only to realize it wasn't ready, thus sliding the batter all across the pan. "Shit. Now it's a pancake omelette," I laugh, as does Joel.

The front door opens and several footsteps are heard walking towards the kitchen, but I keep my eyes glued to my cooking. Part of me is afraid that the pancakes will burn, and part of me is afraid we'll start talking about last nights events. I just want to forget about last night- let go of the regret, but deep down I know it was the right call. I just wish everybody would stop looking at me like I was a walking ticking time bomb, bound to cave in. God forbid I turn my humanity off. To be honest I haven't even thought about that, nor would I want to turn it off. I just can't shake the feeling that they can't see I'm capable of handling my emotions. I've got them under control. The only thing I don't have control of currently is my blood lust, but they don't need to know about that. As long as I keep the bath tub upstairs covered, I should be fine until I sort that part of me out.

"Joel, do you want some pancakes with that syrup?" James jokes, noticing the pancake soup on Joel's plate. The pieces of pancake are quite literally floating in syrup.

"I think if you're gonna have those crisp-cakes you're going to need some bourbon," Damon suggests.

I drop the spatula and turn off the stove, giving up on my cooking attempt. "You know what? That's the best idea you've had all day," I say, heading over to the cabinet. I pull out the opened bottle, pouring myself a small glass. I can feel all their eyes on me as they exchange secrete glances, but that only makes me suspect more.

Shrugging the suspicion off, I take a sip of the liquid, instantly furrowing my brows in confusion at the taste. It tastes sweet.

"Why does the bourbon taste like goddamn apple juice?" I question with an irritable scowl. Everyone looks at Joel.

"Really Joel? You filled the entire bourbon bottle with apple juice?" I scoff. 

Joel looks frantically at everyone, confused at to what's going on. 

"Well played Joel. I guess it's my turn in this prank war," I smirk, finishing the cup of apple juice.

"What the? What?" Joel protests, looking completely shocked at my accusation. "I didn't do it!" he yells. "Damon!" he growls, but Damon only shrugs obliviously before giving Joel a wink.

"Where's Stefan? He's missing all the great fun," I ask.

"He's taken his emotionless self out to try and solve this murder case. He's taken the title of Detective Salvatore," Damon says. "I'm going to go help him. Joel, you're coming," Damon instructs, and surprisingly Joel obeys.