Laced - Chapter 42 (A Change of Hearts)

Start from the beginning

Please, please, please.

I am literally going out of my mind, while Master Zayn stands there on the stage, mocking us all, withholding the very information that our futures depended on.

I curse underneath my breath, and then glare at him.

"Perrie!"

Surely those words couldn't have left Zayn's perfect lips, the lips I'd missed so much. I must be imagining. I must be going crazy.

But his lips moved at the same time my name was called.

It's like all of the noise from the talking, the cheering, and the applauding fades out to a low hum. Background noise. I can't hear a thing, or comprehend anything, my name in his voice resonating in my head. I faintly recognize Harry's arms wrap around me in a congratulatory hug, yelling over the roar that he knew I could do it.

But I couldn't focus on anything but the simple words that had spilled out of Master Zayn's lips, the very words that determined my fate.

I still can't believe my ears - surely this was a mistake? How did I even get through? How did Abby not get through? She wasn't the best singer, sure, but she was definitely Master's favorite and I would think he would've done something to move her forward.

Or maybe that's it. Maybe he doesn't want her to move forward.  Maybe he's too afraid of what she might ask for.

I glance over at Abby, who ducks her head down, her cheeks flushed as she rushes out of the ballroom. I almost feel sorry for her - she probably deserved moving on more than I ever did, but life's not fair.

I want to go after her, to tell her I'm sorry, that she could do it next year, but a squeeze of my arm brings me from my racing thoughts.

"Perrie!" Harry says, pointing to the stage. "They called all the contestants who made it to the next round to go backstage to prepare for the next part. Let's go!" He pulls my arm.

"But..." I trail off, glancing back to where Abby was. She had disappeared, and I wanted to go find her because I felt bad for her.

But now's not the time to feel sorry for anyone. Now it's time for me to get my head in the game, and win this shit.

Because I couldn't do this any longer.

I couldn't be Master's fuck toy, for whenever or wherever he needed to get off.

Not anymore.

I nod, and then turn around, following Harry backstage.

--

Abby's POV

I push through the crowd, making my way to the back. I need to get out of here, I was hot, too hot, and I needed air.