Laced - Chapter 33 (A Night of Announcements)

Disclaimer: This was written over 10 years ago, and the author no longer agrees with many of the concepts found in this story. Some of the content will be cringey and/or problematic. Please remember this is entirely fictional and does not represent the author's beliefs.

Twitter: dazzleizzy

Copyright © 2012-2023

~~

Abby's POV

The ballroom was enormous, grand chandeliers hanging from the ridiculously high ceilings. Everyone was dressed formally as if this was a cocktail party, and the servants, who were clad in black suits, walked around serving drinks and setting up the refreshments table.

Most of the room was cleared of tables, except for the ones that were placed strategically near the walls to allow for room in the middle of the grand ballroom.

Everyone was spread throughout the large room; some were standing by the refreshments, some sat at the rounded tables and others gathered in front of the dimmed stage.

"Come!" Amber clasped her hand around my upper arm, dragging me towards the refreshment table.

I stuggled to keep up with her pace in my black high heels, watching every step I took carefully.

When we finally made it to the refreshments, I grabbed up a small, clear, plastic plate and transferred a few cocktail shrimps from the extravagant display to my plate, dribbling a little of the sour, reddish sauce that came with the shrimp.

I picked up several inch-cubes of cheese from the little toothpicks that were poked through them, and added them to the miniature plate.

Once I was satisfied with what I put on my plate, I headed in the direction of the large group of nicely dressed slaves near the front of the stage.

As I walked, a servant carrying a tray of red wine glasses offered me a drink. I hesitated, but then grabbed a glass, and thanked the man. With a nod of his head, he gave me a smile and continued walking around, serving drinks.

Just before I could reach the large group of my fellow slaves, I felt an arm snake around my shoulders, and I froze, surprised.

"Abigail." Master Zayn addressed me, pulling away to face me. He gave me a quick nod of approval at my outfit, but then frowned. I stilled as his hands reached past my face and to my hair, which one of Samuel's makeup and hair artists had styled into an updo.

His fingers wrapped around the bobby pins that held my long waves up, and pulled them out.

My hair fell past my shoulders, long and slightly wavy from being put up for so long.

"Hey!" I protested, slightly annoyed. "That took the hairdresser lady forever to do."

He smirked at me, placing a quick peck on the corner of my lip, teasing. "I like your hair better this way."

"Oh." I frowned.

I finally took notice of how endearing and breathtaking he looked in a suit. The dress shirt under his blazer hugged his chest snugly, and his hair was styled into a messy quiff. His honey brown irises eyed my plate in one hand, and then the glass of red wine in the other. He raised his eyebrow, looking slightly amused.

"You sure you want to drink?" He asked, and I scrunched up my eyebrows in confusion.

"Yeah. Why not?"

He winked, taking the glass out of my hand. "Wouldn't want you embarassing yourself like you did several nights ago, now, would we?"

My jaw dropped slightly, trying to remember what had happened when I drank several glasses of wine with him at the poolside. My thoughts went blank. "Oh my god. What did I do?"