Laced - Chapter 42 (A Change of Hearts)

Disclaimer: This was written over 10 years ago, and the author no longer agrees with many of the concepts found in this story. Some of the content will be cringey and/or problematic. Please remember this is entirely fictional and does not represent the author's beliefs.

Twitter: dazzleizzy

Copyright © 2012-2023

~~

Perrie's POV

"Can everyone gather around or near the stage?" Niall says through the microphone. "The votes are in, and they've been counted!"

I grab Harry's forearm and make my way to the stage as fast as I possibly can, faster than I've ever walked before. At this point, it was a fifty-fifty chance I would make it.  I would like to believe that I sang pretty well, but there was a decent amount of great voices in the competition other than mine.

My eyes narrow when I see Master Zayn step onto the stage. Niall hands him the black microphone, and then Master Zayn pulls out a small piece of paper out of his breast pocket.

"Thank you to everyone who has competed in the competition.  Unfortunately,  only four of you all can move onto the next round. Please congratulate the following people I announce."

I suck in a deep breath and hold it in. I feel Harry's hand squeeze mine in anticipation and reassurance. He gives me a small smile, and I return it before bring my attention back to the stage.

"The first person moving forward in this competition to the next round is Amber!"

The crowd breaks out into cheers and applause, and I clap my hands in support.

"The next person to make it to the next part of the competition is my good, good friend from up north. Please give a round of applause for Harry!"

I let out a gasp in surprise and then turn around and give Harry a supporting hug.

"Congratulations!" I bream, and his lips pull upward into a full-dimpled smile. His bright eyes are lit up, and he's trying to contain his excitement to not make me feel bad.

But I don't feel bad, not yet at least  I am genuinely happy for him, so I squeeze my hand around his, and smile.

"Niall will be the third person to go on to the next round!"

This doesn't surprise me, his voice is too good to not go on.

I'm biting the inside of my cheek, my hands squeezed into tight fists, my knuckles slowly turning white. Harry's hand falls and rests on my back, and I close my eyes.

Please, God, or whoever it may be that is out there, let me go onto the next round. Please, please, please. I know I sure as hell don't deserve it, but I need to win, please, just this one time. Please, please, please let this one thing be in my favor.

"And the last, but definitely not least contestant to move on is..." Master Zayn pauses, adding a dramatic effect to the tension in the room.