twenty ✾ne

✾✾✾

"Do you maybe wanna go out today?"

"Maybe I'll ask my mom."

Luke's eyes went wide, but Michael had already left.

Michael walked down the stairs and found his mother in the kitchen making food.

"Hey mom can I ask you something?"

"Sure, but let me ask you this first."

She turned around to face her son.

"When were you going to tell me about this-thing that's going on between you and Luke?"

"Mom I-"

"When were you going to tell me you kissed him?"

"Seriously-"

"When was he going to tell me he couldn't pay for the goddamn surgery!"

"Mom please, stop."

"I told Luke not to tell you, you weren't going to take it well.

But no one listens to the crazy old lady living across from Liz Hemmings."

Her food was burning and she could care less.

"What do you have against his mom?"

"Oh we go way back sweetheart.

She was always the amazing one, the successful one, everything I wasn't.

I felt like she moved across from me on purpose, just so she can rub it in my face that she's better at everything.

She had 2 successful kids go to college and get married and live their lives, and with her husband Andrew.

And I bet she doesn't want to pay for your surgery because you're my son, and because she wants her third kid to be successful.

That woman can go burn in hell."

Michael stood there silent.

Karen finally turned off the stove and threw away the burnt food.

Michael walked upstairs, flopping onto his bed.

Luke was rubbing his back.

"Did you hear all that?"

"Yeah.."

"Nothing's gonna happen to us, right Lukey?"

"For sure we're going to be together, but I still need to find a way to get money."

"I know this sounds bad, but can't you-like-find the bank account that holds your money?"

"Maybe, but for now I don't want you worrying about a thing."

"Okay Lukey."

✾✾✾