Chapter Thirty Seven.

I've gained over 2000 views since I posted the last chapter! Thank you so much!

I'm going to try setting this chapter out a little differently...if you don't like it, please let me know! Also, I admit that this wasn't my best. I'm kinda stuck on what to do now so it might be a little longer before my next update which I apologise for.

Anyway, on with the next chapter!

-Stacey xxxx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Lily's POV*

A few days later, as the sun was rising over the trees, I stepped outside for the first time in almost a week. I closed my eyes, inhaling deeply. It would have been nice if not for the loud growling on the other side of the high wall.

Rick was digging in one of the grass patches so I decided to see what he was up to.

"Hey." he smiled, looking up at me.

I sat down on the grass beside him, "What're you doing?"

"I was thinkin' that I could start planting some vegetables. That way we'll always have some fresh food." he replied, picking up his shovel again.

I picked up one of the seed packets, reading the back of it and nodding, "Sounds like a good idea. You need any help?"

He shook his head, "I'd rather do this on my own. I just need a break."

I gave his shoulder a little squeeze before getting up, brushing off my jeans and turning to go back to the house.

Then I heard a scream.

I spun around, seeing Rick running towards the small side gate to the forest.

Letting out a groan, I ran to where Rick had dropped the shovel, picking up the took before following him to the gate where he was searching for the source of the scream.

"There!" I pointed to a large group of walkers, a few feet in front of them, a woman and a young girl were running.

The girl let out a cry as the woman tripped, one walker landing on top of her and taking a bite out of her neck.

"Momma!" the girl sobbed, turning to watch the gruesome scene unfold.

"No!" the woman shrieked, her speech somewhat slurred due to the vast amount of blood in her mouth, "Cassie, run!"

Without thinking, I grabbed the keys from Rick's belt and attempted to find the right key.

"It's the small one." Rick breathed, yanking the keys from me.

"Hurry!" I shouted, watching as the girl stood frozen, witnessing her mother being ripped apart in front of her.

Finally Rick got the gate open and I pulled it open, running towards the girl, Rick following behind me.

I threw the shovel down when I got close to the child, grabbing hold of her arm.

Her eyes locked with mine and I gave her what I hoped was a friendly looking smile before I started moving towards the gate again.

"Lily come on!" Rick yelled and smacked a nearby walker with the shovel I had dropped.

Nodding, I quickly followed him back through the gate, where everyone was coming out of the house.

"What happened?" Maggie asked, rushing over to us.

I crouched down in front of her, letting her wrap her arms around my neck as she continued to sob. "Sweetie it's okay." I whispered, placing my hands on her face to make her look at me, "You're safe."

Her big green eyes looked around curiously, taking in our fairly large group before she looked back at me, "M-my momma?"

I bit my lip, looking down, "I'm sorry...there wasn't anything we could do."

She just buried her face into my neck, hiding herself from the strangers who were all staring at her

********************************

*Daryl's POV*

Lily helped her up before looking up at Rick, "I'm gonna take her upstairs. Have her lie down."

He nodded, "Yeah, that seems like a good idea."

Wrapping her arm around her shoulder, Lily led the young girl back inside.

"What happened?" I asked Rick.

He scratched his chin, "Was digging. Heard a scream. The kid's mom got...Lily ran out and grabbed her."

"Ye' let Lily go out there?" I growled, "Rick, we dont know if she's strong eno-"

"She ran out before I could stop her." he defended, "I was going to go but she beat me to it."

I took a breath, not wanting to get into an arguement with him and nodded, "Alright. Sorry I said anything."

I followed Glenn back into the house and from upstairs, I could hear Lily talking quietly to Cassie and I decided to go hunting. So I had to go up to Lily and I's room to get my crossbow.

After grabbing my weapon, I was walking back towards the stairs, I glanced into the room the two females were in, stopping to take a little look in.

Lily was lying on the bed on her side, Cassie lying beside her. The two of them were talking and the girl let out a quiet giggle at something Lily had said.

Cassie stopped suddenly when she noticed me standing in the doorway, her face going a little red.

Lily looked over too, smiling softly at me, "Hey."

I gave her a nod and stepped over the threshold, looking at the little girl, "How're ye' feelin'?"

"B-better." she stuttered, training her eyes on my crossbow, "Is that a crossbow?"

My eyebrows shot up as I nodded, "Yeh it is. Ye' know about them?"

Sitting up, she kept her eyes glued to the weapon, "Yes. My dad had one. He was supposed to teach me how to use it."

Lily was watching the two of us talk, a smile on her face, "Well maybe Daryl will teach you sometime."

I glared at her as Cassie excitedly nodded, "Would you?! My dad said he'd teach me when I turned eight but my mom-" she stopped, her green eyes filling with tears.

"Oh sweetie." Lily breathed, pulling her into her arms and kissing her hair, "You're gonna be okay."

------------------------------------------

Just to be clear, Cassie is gonna be around 10/11. She was referring to her past when she talks about her dad.