ı 11 ı Burning Truth

Start from the beginning

"I think that if I die even human, all my sires will too. Did you ever think of that?" Klaus questions.

"Nah, I think that if you turn human, your connection with your sires will be lost. So, whatever happens to you, will only happen to you," I say.

Klaus scowls. "What about you? Do you want the cure?" he asks.

"No," I answer flatly. "I don't have an interest in going back to being human." 

"Why? Because you like being strong? Because you like to feel as if no one can over power you? That you like being able to stand up over people who despise you? People like your own father?" Klaus says, trying to rile me up. Unfortunately, anything with the mention of my father is enough to make me pissed.

"Stop it," I growl.

"Don't be afraid to admit it darling. You like what you are just because your father despises vampires. You feel like it's a slap in his face," Klaus says. "I use to be the same when my father was alive. You killed him, remember?" 

"I said, stop it!" I shout, going to get up when suddenly I'm dragged backwards into the prison Klaus is being held in by a lamp stem that he's hooked around my legs.

I crash into the living room, my glass of empty scotch smashing on the floor as I scramble to get up. I jump onto my feet standing in a defensive stance as Klaus zooms in front of me, standing inches away from my face. "What the hell?" I yell, angered that he pulled me into his prison with a goddamn lamp.

"You see, Blair, you and I are a lot alike. The more you come to realize it, the more you will understand me," Klaus says quietly.

"Really Klaus? You keep saying that yet you keep doing things that prove your theory wrong. I wouldn't kill twelve of my hybrids, nor would I kill Tyler Lockwood's mom!" I argue, stuck between him and the wall.

He raises a brow. "My facts may be wrong, but I recall several months ago you tried to kill Tyler's mom yourself," Klaus says, bringing back the horrid memory to my mind. That was the night Fredrick came back from the dead. That was the night when I almost turned it back on because of Caroline.

"That was different. I had my switch off," I mutter, shifting uncomfortably on my feet.

"And what about that time you agreed to join a murderous group of vampires just to get back at the founding family members?" Klaus points out.

I know what he's trying to get at, but I can't allow him to get to me. He's already done that one too many times, and right now I'm in a perfectly happy place in my life, yet some how Klaus always manages to mess with my brain. I clench my hands into fists in an attempt to conceal the anger inside of me, like my clenched fists are the cap on the pipe of anger threatening to spill out of me.

"Oh yeah?" I say. "At least I didn't compel myself false love by taking away all the horrible memories of myself. Do you have any idea how it feels to be missing part of yourself? To be missing memories?" I question angrily, my head held high as I look him in the eyes.

"Be honest with me Blair, if you met me back in 1864 knowing all you know about me now- my past, my family, my rage- with none of your memories missing and James out of the picture, would you feel for me?" he asks, a sad yet hopeful look glued to his face.

I think about all that he's done. I think about how he turned James, Joel and Lexi against their will. I think about how he forced Elijah to kill me as part of revenge. I think about all the innocent people he's killed- Jenna and Carol Lockwood. I think about the fact that he felt the need to compel away memories of James from me out of fear that I would fall for James instead of him- that he did so also out of revenge. And then I think about how he saved Theo's life the other day from Jeremy. I think about how he gave Stefan and James their memories back. I try and think about some of the good he's done, but no matter how hard I force my brain to search, I can't find anything more. Sure he's spared some peoples lives, but the good he's done will never outweigh the bad. The weight on the bad scale shoots higher everyday.