Chapter 30

Picture of Dean

Please ignore weird typos and grammatical errors!

* * *

Dean Walker

Barcelona, Spain

The last time I visited Spain was three years ago, but Barcelona, I haven't visited Barcelona in the last fifteen years.

This place held a lot many memories of my childhood. I was crazy about football (soccer) when I was young and my dream was to become a football player. It was also my dream that when I become a famous football player I would buy a big mansion for my mom and make lot of money, but once when I moved to America, everything changed. And I was glad for who I am today.

I made a lot of money and was capable of buying anything but only Mama wasn't here to see it. I had promised her that I will become a successful man in my life and that I will never follow my dad's footprints.

It was five in the morning, I was standing in the balcony of the hotel suite staring at the dark sky. Jess was fast asleep inside.

I don't know where all my friends are now, whether they are here or they moved out. They all might have thought that I'm dead.

Fifteen years. It took me fifteen years to come back here. I wasn't even present during Mama's funeral. Mary had come all the way from New York alone to attend the funeral.

I felt a warm hand on my bare, cold shoulder. Sighing, I turned around and engulfed Jess into a tight hug, but careful that I didn't hurt her shoulder.

"You okay?" she whispered.

"Yeah," I exhaled. She had the magic of making me instantly feel better. I don't know what I'd do without her. I bet I'd still be that cold-hearted person.

"Come back to bed, it's still dark." her warm soft hand caressed my cheek. I rested my forehead against hers and closed my eyes.

"Just promise me you won't ever leave me again, baby." I said, my voice hoarse. "I don't want to lose you."

She shook her head and put her hand on my cheek. "Believe me when I say it was the most difficult thing I ever did in my life." she then tucked her head under my chin and said, "I have nobody in this world except you, Dean. You are my home, my friend, my family, you are everything to me."

"I promise to give you the world. I love you, Jess." I whispered.

"I love you too." she pecked my chin and pulled me inside the room.

• • •

Upon reaching the cemetery, I bought a bunch of orchids; Mama's favorite, and walked to her grave. It wasn't hard to find her.

Aurora Larios.

Jess was right beside me holding my shaky hand. "I'll be there if you need me." she pointed to a far away bench. As she tried to free her hand from my hold my grip on her hand tightened asking her silently to stay with me.

Blowing a breath, I kneeled down on and placed the flowers on her grave.

After a few moments of silence, I spoke,

"Hola, Mama." (Hey, mom.) I said and paused for a couple of seconds.

"No por dónde empezar. Creo que primero debo disculparme contigo. No podría guardar ese día, lo siento mama. Lo siento por no acudir al funeral, yo estaba enojado en usted porque nunca se me vino a buscar detrás de María. Esperé mucho tiempo." (I don't know where to start from. I think I should first apologize to you. I couldn't save you that day, I'm sorry Mama. I'm sorry for not coming to the funeral, I was angry on you because you never came to pick me back from Mary. I waited for a long time.)