Chapter 1

Dean's picture on the side/above.

Please ignore weird typos and grammatical errors!

* * *

Jessica Summers

When the bus finally halted I got down from the bus and walked towards the exit.

"New York." I smiled as I whispered the name of this amazing city to myself.

I had always wanted to come to New York. When I was a kid I used to dream about living here in a huge apartment, going to work wearing posh clothes and earning lot of money. It seemed very easy back at that time but now I know how difficult it is to earn a single penny.

Never did I ever think I would come to New York in such condition-running away from my crazy aunt. Being in New York; my dream city, I was ready to work my ass off and settle my life here. I believed I can do it.

As a new comer to this big city without any knowledge of anything here, I decided to catch a cab to some cheap price hotel.

Checking the time in my phone which read 11:35 PM I walked out of the bus station to hail a cab, luckily one stopped. The driver looked around forties, he had dark hair.

"Where to, Miss?" he asked politely. He seemed like a father figure and a person who wouldn't take advantage of a girl who was new in the city.

"Um... I'm new here, could you please drop me to some good hotel, where I can get a room at low price?" I asked hesitantly.

"Yeah, sure, Miss. Hop in." he smiled warmly.

Once I got into the cab he drove through the streets of New York City. I looked around to see tall buildings, shops and vehicles waiting at the signals. Seriously, this city never sleeps.

I was enjoying seeing around and I already loved the city. Living in such big place wasn't easy, the money I had wasn't enough to start my life here. I had to find a job and a small room to live which I hoped would happen soon.

Aunt Lisa must have learned by now about me missing from her house. What must she be doing now? Searching for me? That thought made me cringe in nervousness but she can't reach me. I was far, far away from Texas.

Her behaviour was still shocking to me. I was her own brother's daughter. I remember playing with her son when we were in the middle school. After her husband's and son's death who died in an accident, she isolated herself and thereafter lived alone, away from her relatives.

She wasn't like this few weeks ago. What shocked me more was the sudden change in her.

I was so lost in my thoughts that the jerking of the cab brought me back.

"Did we reach the hotel?" I asked. I looked out of the window and realized we were in middle of an empty street.

"No, Miss. I guess there's something wrong with my vehicle. Give me a minute, I'll check it out." he replied before getting out of the car. Opening the front hood of the car he got busy checking.

The surrounding that I saw from the window of the car looked empty and dark. I couldn't see anybody on the road or anywhere near the place.

After few minutes, the driver bent down to the window.

"I'm sorry, Miss, but I don't think it will start without a mechanic." he said unhappily.

That meant only one thing, walk it down to the hotel. Finding a cab on this empty street was almost impossible by looking around the area.