xv

xv | dance?

xv | dance?

"Michael," I groaned, "Leave me alone."

"Why?"

"Well, I'm trying to help you with your Literature homework, yet you keep on fooling around!" I sighed, loudly as I fell backward, my back landing on the fresh-cut grass. 

I shut my eyes when I faced the bright blazing orb in the sky, hitting their rays of light at my eyes. The sounds of the birds chirping or students laughing on the field echoed through the enormous football field. The heat crept on my body, the feeling of sweat forming disgusted me. I felt a kick on my shin, I open my left eye, seeing Michael had kicked me and stares at me with his lips forming into a pout," It's hard."

"No, it's not," I tell him," you're just summarizing each stanza, annotating poems, analyzing the poetic devices, and what they mean. Easy as that."

"Easy for you to say," Luke comments, flipping through the packet of poems," It's confusing. Why do we have to read a poem made by women? Why not men?"

"I don't know," I answer him," Women are more poetic than men I guess."

Luke shrugs," I don't know, but this Salome lass seems to be crazy, what a root rat."

"A what?" I asked, looking at him as I propped my elbows on the grass to look at him.

"It means someone who likes sex," Michael answers for me before I could get a word out of my mouth, Michael continues," Trust me, I've been keeping up with the Aussie slangs since 4th grade."

I nodded. Luke's Australian? 

It's been a month since Luke and Michael are constantly hanging with me. They've been avoiding Calum as well, they must not be talking at all. Not that I mind, but they've been friends for the longest, that kind of friendship would hurt a lot to lose. But I don't bring it up. 

It's honestly weird. How could I be friends with people who helped my bully mess with me? It just happened and I honestly don't understand how I befriended the people who helped the person who bullied me up until now. Although I do enjoy the new company I have, it's quite fun.

"Alrighty," Luke says, putting the packet in his bookbag with the rest unsecured piles of paper," why not have a break after all this hard yakka and eat?"

"Hard work," Michael whispers to me of the new foreign slang term.

"Luke, we've been working on this for only 10 minutes," I tell him, smiling as he groans.

"I know," He replies, his voice was low until went up" I'm just bored."

Rolling my eyes, I focused back on the Salome poem by Carol Ann Duffy before Michael takes it from my grasp," Put it away, Nerd, let's eat."

I open my mouth to say "No", but a piece of fries was shoved into my mouth. Luke giggles, pinching my right cheek after he had put a couple of fries in my mouth, "Cassie, you can work on homework later."

I chewed on the crispy fries, slouching in defeat. Another new thing, I can never do homework around these fools, they always want to goof around, but I, on the other hand, want to work on my homework. I've already been bringing my grades up before the last day for late work for the 1st Quater and we're close to finish this quarter to start the new one. 

"Only because I have a lot of free time Saturday," I tell them, grabbing the hamburger Luke had bought for me, unfolding the wrapper.

"You're not going to the dance on Saturday?"

"There's a dance?" 

Michael laughs," You're joking, right? We have the homecoming game tomorrow and then the dance on Saturday."

"No, I'm not," I answer Michael, covering my mouth with food still in my mouth," I don't go to any school events."

"Cassidy!" Michael exclaims," You have to go!"

I shake my head, but Luke butts in," It'll be fun! If anything, you should invite Angelina!"

"No, no, no," I said," I have to work on homework-"

"Cassidy," Michael cuts me off, grabbing my shoulders to turn me to face him," You have been working your ass off for a month. You're caught up! You just need to do all the assignments that were due the first week of October, you need a break. Plus its junior year, Senior is gonna be busy as heck and you're not gonna have any highschool memories for your last two years! Come on Cass!"

I looked at Michael's green eyes, they're being sincere. I don't know why or explain how this fear overcame be for going to the dance. I guess I thought about Carrie in the prom scene when she gets dump in pigs' blood, getting humiliating her in front of the whole school. Then she goes crazy, God I love that scene but I would hate if that happened to anyone in real life. Shit would go down and in a good way. 

"Even then, why should I spend so much money on a dress and shoes?" I asked," I bet there's no more tickets anyways a-and I have no date so ha! Can't go, oh well."

"If anything, go with Luke," Michael said, "His date ditched him to go with her ex."

"Shut up," Luke complains, his moppy blond hair attacks the other blond one, "I don't ever want to talk about her again."

"Then it's settled," Michael said, "I'll call Angelina-"

"Hey!-" I yelped as Michael grabs my phone when he gets up from the ground.

"To come with us to the mall to find you some kind of dress," He tells us," and you will go with Luke as his prom date."

"Do I have any say in this? I don't want to expose my body! I don-"

"Cass, the theme is masquerade, you don't have to worry anything," Michael comforts me, "What's there to worry about? Let's just have fun, hm?"

I wish I knew what could go wrong beforehand.