xiii

xii | befriending 

xii | befriending 

After a while, I had changed back into my clothes and had another meltdown. Gracie comforted me before I decided to leave the bathroom with my hoodie one. She hands me her number and telling me how I should meet her adorable kid and boyfriend, though she's a teen mom, she must have a better life than me. I nodded before walking over to the boys, they were already up the minute I got out of the bathroom, they knew I wasn't in the mood to stay any longer.

Ashton slung his arm around my shoulder before we walked passed by the football team and cheerleader, I heard Calum muttering 'Scar Girl'. I guess I have a new nickname...

That was a week ago. Since then, everything had been the same. Minus the fact that Luke and Michael constantly follow me, I just have gotten used to them and ignoring their presence. Receiving more insults from Calum and his followers, which did not bother me. But ever since on the car back to the school, they didn't go back on their word.

"So, are we gonna ditch school, guys?" Michael asked.

"You guys can, I have to go back to school," I told them.

"Why?" Luke asked.

"Because I'm failing all my classes and if I don't bring up my grades, then the school is gonna call my parents."

"But if you go-"

"I'll get bullied again? I know. I'm used to it." I told Michael, cutting him off.

"Don't worry, I'll be with you all day!" Luke exclaimed.

"Luke, we don't have the same classes, only a couple,"

"I know, but I'll walk you to class and I'll wait for you when you come out!" Luke told me.

"Yeah, we'll be your bodyguard," Michael comments, agreeing along with Luke, he turns from the passenger seat to face me, putting a weird face, probably trying to express a strong man.

Since then, they haven't gone back on their word. Also, I have been keeping up with all of my work, I met with teachers and already met up with my counselor, discussing colleges for next year. Luckily, I had finished most of the missing assignments from the First Quarter, now I'm just trying to complete the assignments that were due from the beginning of the Second Quater before the first semester ends. 

It was the end of the day, this is where things usually get weird. Michael would walk me to my locker, then he would disappear and Luke comes out nowhere. Then he disappears in the crowd too. Where they disappear to? To see their friends, they make so much effort to be with me but missing out on hanging out with their friends. I still don't understand why they're befriending me. I was not important to them, they played along with Calum's bullying, I don't think I could ever get over that. But I am, I can laugh and talk with them which is odd. Then after had disappeared, no student is seen in the hallways to leave or in other rooms for clubs, Michael and Luke would come from the dark corridors of the school. Then we would wait outside in the front for Ashton to give us a ride.  

As we waited outside, I continued to work on my homework. Aside from my elective class, I was in the art class. One of the assignments I missed was free drawing, draw five things, it didn't matter what it was. But I was stuck on what on my fifth drawing, I glanced at the blank sheet of paper laying effortlessly on my lap. I was not an imaginative person nor did I daydream.

I decided to do this tomorrow until Michael announced that Ashton would arrive within half an hour. I sighed. I rubbed my temples in frustration, I guess I have would to work on these assignments.

"What's up?" Luke asked, leaning to my side as he looks at the blank paper as well.

"I have to draw five things, but I'm stuck on the fifth drawing, I don't know what to draw," I sighed," Nothing inspires me."

Luke hums and stares at the blank paper before turning to me, his blue eyes meet my brown ones before asking, "What makes you happy?" 

The kids from the orphanage makes me happy. They are all like my family. Sherry and Angelina. Music.

"I guess music mostly," I answer.

"There you go," Luke tells me before he puts on his earphones.

"Thanks," I tell him before he chuckles and returns his phone. 

I look back at the blank paper before I let my hand do its magic. I was so focused on the drawing that I wasn't paying attention until Michael yelled 'he's here!'.

"Well, that was fast," Luke comments, looking down at a drawing I just finished.

It was nice, I drew a music note with a treble clef before the lines shifted upwards and downwards, as if it was a heart rate. It was nothing big nor small, it was plain and simple, just the way I like it.

Luke snatched my artworks to show Michael and Ashton, revealing the wolf howling at the moon in the middle of a forest, a girl with Pikachu on her shoulder, a sidewalk with a silhouette of a person, and a small sketch of the universe. I quickly gathered my stuff and ran to the car. I jumped to the back sitting with Michael. Ashton talked to me, random topics with academic stuff until Luke and Michael complained about being hungry and we go out to eat. Later, Ashton drops me off at my house, I waved at them as the car is reversing the vehicle. 

But are they sure they want to be friends with me?