Chapter 39

Jacqueline had wanted to talk about this issue for so long. She had been newly married for a week, officially in her eyes, to Dominic and he had treated her like a princess. He hadn't showered her with presents and bribes. Instead he had spent so much of the week with her. He had taken her shopping but also to walks, riding and picnics.

They had come to this understanding. They had conversed about their lives, their hopes and their childhoods. It had not been unpleasant and they both had the occasional outbursts of iciness or in frustration. They had asked each other questions, laughed and ate but there was the lingering of uncertainty.

"Am I like a prize to your family Dominic? To you?"

Dermont finished shaving Dominic's face so he could speak. Tilting his head back up Dominic looked at his wife who was staring at the ring she wore. Her hair was worn up and tendrils snaked down and cupped her face. Her body was covered by the night dress but apart from that she sat with a childlike innocence which he envied. Her legs crossed and her lip bent in concentration.

"Prize?" Dominic asked. Dermont bowed and began to finish his work. He collected the shaving materials and brushed the hairs off Dominic's chest and and then wished the couple a goodnight.

"I will require your services tomorrow before we go out Dermont."

"Yes, my lord." The servant shut the door and the clink of his feet could be heard as he withdrew to the servants quarters

"A prize sir. My lineage and womb. You will have many powerful heirs even if their mother is a peasant. My father's debt is paid and you can flaunt me as your prize."

Dominic addressed the easiest topic first."You are no longer a peasant. You are a countess."

"In paper, my lord. In paper. On the outside I am a peasant, a wench for men's appetites and ambitions."

Dominic swallowed the saliva that had been building up and sat next to her, mimicking her actions. He crossed his legs and looked to the ceiling."I have no ambitions or appetites."

"Your heirs. You are on of the most rich men in the county. With the king's ear. And a title. Men would kill for your place and if they did you need an heir. Or when you die, I would be scorned for not bringing you an heir."

Dominic's cold reality had sunk in a while ago but it felt wrong when she said it."You are incorrect lady wife. So wrong. I will not allow them to scorn you, and I do not need heirs. We will produce them later. For now it is not a problem."

"But what about your father?" She twisted the ring."He will be most disappointed."

"He picked you for me, along with Daniel." Dominic looked at her face."I knew nothing of you, not even your status or your family. Apart from that stupid debt your father acquired, this marriage probably wouldn'tof existed. A little research and I figured out his reasoning. He thinks I am weak and a pretty wife with pretty heirs would at least make up some of the damage I would otherwise cause."

"Or to mould into his own creations." He nodded in agreement with her statement. He clasped her hands.

"You aren't my horse." He looked at the fear in her face and hoped one day it would flee away in the wind, like his mothers ribbon behind Jacqueline's veil."And neither will my children be. I hope we can come to an understanding. So I can get rid of the fear in your eyes."

Jacqueline turned away. This was becoming too perfect. It would be a dream if the moods of her husband he could predict."Would you like to retire?" He asked the question softly."It grows late,"

"No," She looked at his face."I do not fear you."

"I-I have been a brute. I have been like my father."