Chapter 31

Dominic rode forward charging on his horse. The fog hit him in the face, like slap in the face, and it hurt. His eyes were stinging and he could barely see anything."Who is there?"

The cliff was always foggy. If the rest of the area was not foggy, rest assured the cliff was. The sky was almost grey, and it made it difficult to see clearly. Dominic cursed himself for forgetting to bring a lantern boy, and continued forward.

"My lord, I suggest you stop riding. It is too foggy to do so." Dominic stopped. He could hear, from a distance, the words. Dominic felt the panicking of the horse and got off Storm.

He wouldn't risk Storm's safety and if the voice was not lying, he could easily walk. He loved his horse dearly and he wouldn't allow it to come to harm, due to his selfishness. Anything he loved, he would sacrifice himself for. There was not much to sacrifice.

The horse neighed in fear. And Dominic took out a knife from the saddle bag. He brushed Storm's mane with his finger tips before his body was completely off the horse. His feet made a thudding noise and he straightened his clothing before, walking towards the voice. It wasn't extremely near by, however the shadow that was walking towards him could be his wife.

"Jacqueline," He called.

There was a male chuckle."Do I really have such a femine voice, Lord DeFleur?" He looked across and bowed low."Lord Derek Rochford, an honour to meet you, my lord."

Derek was walking towards the castle, and he, seeing the man he couldn't have wanted not to see, cursed his misfortune.

There was a silence as each man sized each other up. Derek looked at Dominic with a smirk. They were both roughly the same height, Dominic a little bit shorter. Derek who had long, wavy brown hair seemed more philosophical than the solider in front of him. Derek looked also, more peasant like. His clothing, although the same quality as Dominic's was less adorned and more practical than fashionable.

Dominic bowed and introduced himself. A quick smile was on the man and he motioned for Dominic to stand next to him."My lord, I have a question." He did not allow Dominic to respond before continuing."Do you believe in love?"

Dominic was slient. It was unusal to speak freely, between men, of that emotion. It was frowned upon. A man was suppose to show honour, intelligence and strength. How was he suppose to do that if his concern was on the feelings of others."I suppose, Lord Rochford. The love a child has for their mother, or me for my sport."

Derek nodded and looked to the crashing waves below. He was to return to the castle, but he couldn't escape now and knew he would have to make polite conversation."Those rocks look dangerous,"

Dominic agreed."They have sharp edges, pointed, large and too close to the castle."

"Your wife, doesn't believe in love." He said simply.

Dominic was quietly shocked. Perhaps not the notion of her knowing a lord. But that she did not believe in love. She clearly had a love for reading, William and simplicity. He had seen her most happy when she sat in the library, that day she had stayed with him, reading a book. Her gowns were always simple, and that showed she was a simple human being. She seemed in love then. Her smile didn't show it, but her crystal green eyes did.

But Dominic wouldn't confess all this to a random stranger, who dallied by the sea on a foggy day. "You know my wife?"

Derek shrugged and continued looking forward. Dominic stood beside him, looking as the waves crashed into the rocks."Childhood, she use to be so happy and so free. She seems darker now, saddened."

Dominic was silent again. How was he suppose to respond to a random stranger giving him a guilt trip. He knew he was sick, that's why he couldn't rebuttal or ask why he was interfering, he knew he was right.