Chapter 34

Author's note: A bit of romance, I'm getting there. Slowly... Feedback appreciated.

Jacqueline paced, she had been pacing since the morning rise. Biting her lip she paced in the same room she had been in. For so... So long. She did not count the days that she had been in here. She took deep breaths and stopped. She needed to talk to Dominic!

Her legs felt weak, since her imprisonment she had used pacing to think. She wouldn't surrender to him, she was just as stubborn as he but after her meals, she felt too tired to do anything. Her muscles felt sore and she ached all over. The only part of her body which did not ache was her ankle. It was a dull ache rather than a shooting pain.

The festivities of the week before had disappeared as William and Amelia had been offered a week away from court instead of a honey moon. William had accepted on the grounds he return to court and as soon as Francis leave for Paris, he would return back to his parish. With Amelia on his side.

After she had returned they had talked quietly. It had turned into a full blown argument and she had slapped him again. He had dared her to do it again and she had. Then the room had gone silent and he had sat down quietly on the bed. She had turned away from him and stared out the window."You once said you were in prison." Was his beginning words. She had replied in the positive and he had continued his speech."I have never actually locked you up, so it's unusual. But I guess I get it. I won't touch you, but I will lock you up. You will learn that I remember everything you say." She had ignored him and stuck his chin up, staring at the window. He was so stupid, he would never do that.

After he had left her. Locked the room, and apart from the scared servants, she had seen no one. And she sunk down with defeat. She was so confused. He had promised to please her and he had locked her in this room like a prisoner.

But then as she sunk down with defeat, she reflected. She had treated him just as coldly, and now he was just fed up. There were some good times, she supposed and she hadn't thought of that at all.

Sitting down in her chair she looked out the window, she could see the court laughing and smiling, whilst she was stuck here waiting for her husband. She looked at the sky and wondered how she had come to this.

Lord Rochford's words rang in her mind. They had been ringing for so long. Even a week ago when Dominic had left her alone in the balcony she had thought about it. After an hour standing in the chill without a shawl she motioned for the guard to return her to her chambers but still couldn't stop thinking.

She was a broodmare, one of the finest broodmares for her husbands pleasure. But he had barely talked of children, heirs or sex. It seemed her body repulsed her. Maybe that's why now he locked her away. She had not been out since after the wedding and she decided she would do something to occupy her time.

Deciding to sleep again. Maybe dream of a tale the maids use to tell her Jacqueline shuffled into the bed. Closing her see she took deep breath and let her mind take her away... Far far away.

Too far! Her body heaved upright and she clenched the sweat stained sheets. She loosened herself and decided she would not knock on the door yet. She got out the bed and paced around the desk, Dominic's desk.

She heard the bolts disengage and she breathed deeply and looked at her husband as he entered the room. She curtsied, her head bent down hair running down her back."My lord,"

He grunted and went to his desk, the servant following him with a pile of paper and put it onto his desk."My lord," The servant bowed and scuttled out.

Jacqueline looked at Dominic as he began writing on his paper. He opened a book and began reading it intently."My lord," She curtsied.

Dominic looked up again but continued to read his book afterwards. Jacqueline took her time and she went to his desk."Please talk to me," She begged. Feeling sick at her desperation she held her breath as he looked at her.