Prologue

Authors Note Summer 2016: This story was written when I was fairly young. I will be editing it between August- September. Dominic is our main male lead, Daniel is is uncle (may have to change his name for clarity sake)

Dedication: She made this amazing cover (and most of my others) and is so nice, thanks :D

England 1515- Four years before the story starts.

The first day that Jacqueline had her life set out for her was in service. Meeting Lord David Defleur was an honour, as a priest's daughter meeting a noble should be to a commoner. But she didn't know the impact this man had on her future.

She did not know how he would help her find true love. And the difficulties which came with it, she did not know that her father had used her, a simple pawn to enjoy his life. But she did know she should of wore her new cross necklace that she had received for Yule.

The priest looked down on the girl before him, a pretty quiet, obedient girl, but still a sinful girl and spoke. "Almighty lord forgive her sins," He made the sign of the cross on her forehead with water and bid her to rise. Her dress caught the stage; she shook the grey dress before he spoke.

"How do you fare daughter?" Her father asked, keeping appearances she bowed her head in reverence and looked to her father's feet. The twelve year old girl shuffled as she looked at the imposing figure before her.

"I am well papa, thank you," She whispered, tugging the hair back into the plat they had escaped from, she looked up to her father before he glared at her, she lowered her head.

"You may look at a priest, a man of God, when you have confirmed your sins daughter. "Jacqueline nodded and silently asked god for her forgiveness. Her father cleansed her and she curtsied leaving him for the next parish member.

Jacqueline looked around her father's simplistic but large church. Ever since she was a child this had been her home, religiously, morally. The building was made of two materials: Wood and Clay. The pews made of wood and the building of unpainted clay. The aura was as dull and as cold as the room, and it reflected on the members of the parish.

Jacqueline sighed. When she went to her cousin's parish she saw such joy when praising god. Hymns were sung praising god and thanking him for hid deliverance from evil and she would sing too. Unless her father was there, she never sang when her father was there, he thought it was sinful.

Looking up she knew she had dallied too long. She made the cross sign before the next member came. "My lord Defleur, how do you fare?" Her father's voice boomed across the church the parish members watching as an earl bowed before their priest. It was extraordinary.

"I am well good priest, and I hope you are as well, and pray god can forgive my unworthy soul" He replied gently.

Her father looked down on the man kneeling before him, his light brown hair bouncing teasing his neck. His clothing sets him apart already. He thought. Clothes of a Nobel man. Decked in elegant blue and black he had his head bowed before god and king if not any other man. Apart from the king.

 Jacqueline had listened to her mother's tales of the sovereign. He demanded absolute obedience and Jacqueline was glad she would never meet the man. She was scared she would do something wrong. And be hanged for her mistake.

Which was one other reason for avoiding Lord Defleur; all Nobles wanted perfection and looked down on those below them, including him. Jacqueline ignored the earl when possible as he was a frequent visitor of their household but she had managed to been conveniently out on all occasions of his visits. "I'm sure he will," The priest marked the young man.

Jacqueline returned to her mother, the very picture of a clergyman's wife. Meek, uneducated and kind, but her looks set her as one of the highest women in the village. She had her hair tightly wrapped in a bun and was wearing a grey dress. "Mama the earl is here again,"

Her mother hushed her, and Jacqueline realised she was in prayer. Her eyes closed, hands closed together as Jacqueline saw her father and the earl approach she closed her eyes and mimicked her mother's actions.

"Ladies service is over and devout as you may be we must eat." Jacqueline opened her eyes as her father talked, her mother had already risen and by his side. Jacqueline closed her prayer finishing with amen and after curtsied before them.

It was silent, Jacqueline curtsied to the earl. Before she looked down at her fingers, wishing that everyone else was still here. Instead the church was quiet and the last members had just filed out.

It went quiet.

"Service was enjoyable today papa," Jacqueline tried to break the ice that had enclosed the tension.

The earl raised an eyebrow, at last she had talked. She had taken her bloody time. But she had and what a stupid thing to say in front of a man from the army but she had spoken. He enjoyed a good debate. He especially enjoyed it when the female had such a pretty voice.

"But shouldn't service always be enjoyable why this one particularly?" The earl challenged.

Her father looked irritated slightly by her daughter's incompetence, her mother did not look at her and Jacqueline looked at the earl again. His attention was completely on her. The words just escaped from his lips.

"I did not mean that, my lord," Jacqueline returned, looking down at the floor as expected. She hadn't a right to look at nobility. "I just enjoy service and want to thank my father." She bobbed a curtsy at her father.

He raised an eyebrow. "I see Mistress Dewhite," He smirked slightly her quick response but did not continue.

"The Earl is to join us for dinner and has kindly offered to escort you to his carriage. We will be there of course as chaperones daughter." Her father spoke as they walked towards the exit.

"Yes papa." The earl offered her arm, and she took it grudgingly. Her father and mother behind it looked like a couple courting. Jacqueline shook that out of her head as she made the cross outside the church and got into the carriage.

"So Miss Dewhite?" The earl began she looked at him, he reminded her of her father. Cold faces and religious. Were all men as icy as them? She had been exposed to naught but men of their kind or boys as nice as the flowers in the garden. Like William, her brother, or Alex or Anthony...

"Yes, my lord?" She looked outside trying to avoid his gaze, he seemed to judge with every word and movement.

"How old are you Miss Dewhite?" The Earl asked, his tall stature made her look up at him.

"Twelve summers sir, and you, if it is not impolite to ask?" She asked.

"No it is not. I am twenty summers, Miss Dewhite." He stated. His eyes on her face as she spoke and a blush seeped into her face.

And he began to talk, they talked comfortably, about music dance and etiquette as well as sports. "She is perfect Father Dewhite." David whispered, smiling at the young girl as looked to the door.

The priest smiled, kissing his daughter on the cheek as she blushed and was escorted off.

Jacqueline's long bountiful hair, curves blossoming on her as a young child of twelve, the future held beauty and she talked with intelligence. The rumours were right. The Dewhites had a reputation but this set it in stone.

For once a woman would be useful and her future was clear. Nothing could change it. Her father in debt and her mother... Well her mother was just a piece of meat he could use to throw to the dogs if this went wrong.

"She's perfect," Her father nodded as they departed the carriage and he slammed the door.

"Drive on," He ordered as the carriage went forward.