Chapter 1

Authors Note Summer 2016: This story was written when I was fairly young. I will be editing it between August- September. Dominic is our main male lead, Daniel is is uncle (may have to change his name for clarity sake)

France 1519- Four years after Jacqueline's first meeting with Lord Daniel Defleur.

Jacqueline was on her knees, in the heat of the kitchen, her father glared at her as she wept uncontrollably. Her body ached, her heart did too, and she wished she could go to sleep. She had been working all day, and for spilling a litre of milk on the floor she was in trouble.

 She wished he would forgive him, see love one day in his dark blue eyes instead he saw disappointment and it hurt her. She knew she would be punished; her father had insulted her already, he had made her clean the whole house and wash his clothing that week. As well as her chores for the day, and her prayers and her charity work. She just hoped he would ground her. A little punishment in her eyes, and she would be able to sleep.

"No food for tonight and you will stay in your room for the reminder of the night and pray for God's forgiveness, even if you cannot have my forgiveness." He paused looking at his youngest child, the William was working and Thomas was sleeping upstairs, the favourite of the three. "Is that understood?" Her father had the cane in his hand no matter her mother's protests.

Jacqueline smiled inwardly a minor punishment and curtsied. "Yes Papa," He dismissed her but she was largely pleased to be off the cold floor as she sunk onto her carpeted one. Her grey dress loose fitting she had tripped, slightly but composed herself and silently looked around her plain room.

Her head hurt from all the cleaning she had done, no meals until tomorrow she knew he would carry out his word. The kitchen of no use as it was locked that Sunday. Clutching her stomach to tease it , that it was a full belly, she looked outside and saw Anthony there. "Anthony!" She called he looked up and bowed before continuing his work with the horses.

Climbing outside she stood at his side. "You shouldn't be out her ma petit," He whispered looking around as she pulled him in a tight embrace.

Anthony's grey eyes twinkled mischievously he blinked at his little friend. She had lost weight over the last year, her rosy chubby cheeks gone now almost hollow but on the verge. Her priest of a father keeping her well-fed just to keep up with appearances, but she still held her dimples. And she was still beautiful.

"Oui, Anthony. I know." She growled irritated. "But papa has forbidden me to eat, and I have to pray, and I am bored Anthony," She whined, clinging onto his jacket.

He chucked slightly, she was like a little girl still. "Then embrace your punishment and receive God's forgiveness." He began, she frowned she hadn't expected this.

She wanted a joke made at her father and a baked pastry to satisfy her. He gave her the latter from the depths of his satchel. "Now go inside and redeem yourself, "He ordered his tone betraying him. He was joking.

"Mon frère... I redeem myself each day. I pray five times a day, go to church at least once a week, read the bible every day, wash papa's clothing, help the good wives. I need a rest Anthony," He nodded sympathetically.

Patting her head she leant into him whilst he silenced her. "I have to go?"

"Yes miss, you do, but don't forget I'm there. And I love you and beg for his Lord's forgiveness your father will come in time." He smiled at her and aware in case anyone saw her she dipped a curtsy as returned it with a bowed and left.

She returned to her room, biting into the pastry that Anthony had given her she looked through the bible. Falling asleep she begged for god's pardon for a sin that she was completely unaware of what it was for.