Chapter 21

William sighed, this week of travelling was exhausting. King Francis never travelled light and being in the mist of a whirlwind king was a chore for the obedient little priest.

They had arrived at Francis castle and he had given them the best guest rooms, he had protested a room with a simple shelf would be enough for him but Francis had laughed and ordered for his items to be taken away.

Remembering the lavish meals and emptiness that had followed over the past couple of days his sad mood sunk further.

He sighed and with a knock on the door he lay down on his bed. There was a soft knock before he heard his name being called."Father William ?"

He looked up. Amelia. He hugged his stomach tighter. He was trapped being a authoritative figure. There was a pang to his chest and a tear dribbled down his cheek."Yes Amelia is something wrong? Your room to your delight ?" He said nonchalantly.

He tried not to look at her face instead focused on the room around him. The luxuries empty to him, the royal red carpets, the large canoped bed freshly laid this morn as told by the servant that took him to the room.

"Yes, thank you" He looked up at her tone, sad. He couldn't resist. Tears stained her face, she had tried to dab it off but it marked her face. Her normally warm pink blush was red and was mixed with her fears. Her long auburn hair strands across her face and she sighed.

"Is something the matter ?" He got up off the bed, stumbling slightly to the door to open it for her.

"No no.... Father shall I draw you a bath ?" She asked, William looked confusingly at her.

"You are a guest Madam and besides you should be getting ready for the ball tonight."He paused " Your husband will be there"

"He's not my husband" She spat angrily.

He glanced at her face shocked. He had never seen her angry. They had always had a positive relationship."Not yet" He said softly.

She tugged at her dress, the maids coming in with clothing ordered with Francis approval she had asked to change into the finery later" I shall go and change Father,"

He nodded wordlessly and she walked out. William berated himself. He couldn't even be polite to her. She was facing what Jacqueline had been a month ago. Married to a man she did not know or love and he was sitting her wallowing in self pity.

"You're pathetic even your own family don't want you" William spoke to no one in particular but too upset to care he strode towards the elaborate wardrobe Francis had lent him about to open it.

There was a knock on the door "Yes come in"

A boy peeped out, his dark skin intrigued William, he had seen a black person before but never so close. The boy gently shut the door and bowed low towards William"Permission to speak sir?" The boy whispered.

Williams eyes furrowed in confusion, of course he could speak! But then he looked at the boy closely, his brown eyes shifted never looking at William in the eye. His hair shaved neatly, his youthful expression saddened. His clothing although in uniform was too big for him and as he scratched his skin, he saw a mark etched into it.

William wanted to be sick. He swallowed and turned away"Of course" William said."How else are we suppose to speak ?"

The boys eyes flickered to the white man's face before it quickly looked down again. He held out a note and William took it.

I am Samuel here to change you into your clothes and a bathe if you wish I do not need to talk if you wish me so. I will do as you command.

William frowned. The poor boy looked humiliated he scratched his ears lightly before William talked again."Could you bring me a bath please?"