Chapter 28

"Thank you Alice." Alice put the finishing touches on Jacqueline.

"Yes, my lady." She curtised and gathered the cleaning items and lefts

Dominic had gone out, business had called was what the servants told her and frankily it didn't bother her. She would explore the castle and maybe talk to Lord Wilson again, maybe he could introduce her to someone. She longed for a friend.

But that was selfish. As he stood rigid that previous day. And she had not been able to find the Duke after he left the room she had returned to her room and stayed there the whole day. She wanted a friend but she was too scared to find one. Anyone...

But not Mr Thomas, she would avoid that man. His flirtatious nature, his sparkling eyes as they hypnotised into submission and she wouldn't do anything to damage her reputation especially as Francis had held off the blessing till six months.

She would not talk about what happened that day or the previous day. Dominic did not know how far. Peter and Anne kept it a secret.

He had not told anyone the reason and frankily she didn't care. Her relationship with Dominic was still a mess and she was glad to not have to sleep with him. Now she had a reason to not sleep with him.

Jacqueline stood on the balcony of her room and then walked out ignoring the luxuries and headed towards the door. She opened it and looked around. Empty. Very empty and she was slightly thankful for that.

She walked though the large french castle, she could hear the servants chattering and knew she wouldn't be welcome there and instead headed for the library for some peace and quiet. It was empty, and Jacqueline sat down in the spacious book filled library.

She picked up a book. The world in my eyes. A scientific journal. Pleased she sat sat in the corner of the room, the sofa inviting with embroided pillows and table to put papers on she admired the tapersiteies behind it on the wall and began reading.

Jacqueline was lost. Lost in this world she had missed her journals so very much and was pleased Francis had some in his collection. She knew the king was wise but she would return home soon. Francis was going to Paris and the court would follow, Dominic could use it as an excuse and return home. And she would be alone with him again.

Sighing, she wondered if anyone was looking for her. She placed down the heavy journal onto the table. Dominic would probably not, but William might.

She had missed William, she hadn't been able to talk to him only see him and she would have to see him before he headed back to Cornwall. She was glad that Thomas was not around, she hadn't seen him in a while and was frankily glad.

The past should be the last of my focus. Jacqueline snapped to herself. She was lucky she was being allowed out after the incident and that was in the past too.

"My lady?"

Jacqueline looked up."My lord, good afternoon." She got up and curtised watching with childlike eyes at her childhood crush. Derek Rochford.

"Lady DeFleur," He said her name awkwardly, it was completely different to how he regarded her beforehand, but then took a shallow intake of air." I hope you aren't lost from the rest of the ladies. I could escort you back."

Jacqueline shook her head. More memories flooding back to her mind. Half the court knew apart from Domininc."I'm not an invalid."

"I never said you were Madam," He smiled kindly,"But I would like to catch up with an old friend."

Old friend?"If you wish, my lord." She offered him the seat opposite. He smiled graciously again and sat where he was told.

He cocked his head to one side and called for a servant to bring them some tea."You look well, my lady. Much better than the village girl who use to blush every time she curtised to me."