Chapter 24

Jacqueline frowned at the mark against her person, she lightly caressed it and dismissing Alice she turned for the door."Lord husband," She curtsied low and took his elbow.

He did not speak to her but looked at how they looked together. She looked the very essence of lost virgin. A light blue evening dress, her hair in a bun with a hat neatly placed on top. Jewels ordered by Dominic to be worn, it showed her high status and empathised the blue sparkle in her eye.

The bruise had been hidden with make up and Dominic was pleased. This is exactly what every man wanted in his bed or on his arm. Beauty, humbleness and submission to her husband. She kept her head down and looked at the ring on her finger.

Dominic had not picked it out, he would of picked a gold band, maybe with their initials. But her father us demanded this design as a condition, for whatever reason and his father had agreed. He wore a dark blue doublet and a black hose. Wearing his outdoor boots he did not bother to change into more leisurely footwear. 

The evening meal prepared Francis had asked them to join him for a leisurely dinner. As they walked down the carpeted corridor, Dominic knew this dinner would not be leisurely. The candles illuminated the palace and the music could be heard from the corridor.

Dominic motioned for the servants to open the door and they walked together to the court room. The courtroom a large square room with Francis and the consort's throne at the end of the room. A straight red rug making a parting through the middle. The members of the court on the sides, laughing and conversing whilst waiting...

Francis' court room was packed, he had summoned them and all courtesans parted for a glimpse of the new couple.

The men at court had been watching, the women of the court judging and the children in bed with their nannies. Jacqueline sighed as they looked at her curtsying to the king and she knew he thought of her unworthy. She kept quiet and as they walked to the golden throne, five steps and then a curtsey.

Bending her head demurely and in anticipation of maybe, if that note was correct seeing William she smiled at the door opener before starting her bow with Dominic.

"Your Majesty," They bowed low In unison and the king biding them to rise looked at the couple.

"Countess your cheek is reddened," Francis said softly his glare on Dominic. His hand's clenched the golden ring the king wore was stabbing into his skin.

"It was nothing, your majesty, just me being clumsy forgive me for worrying you,"She curtsied low again.

He ignored her comment and acknowledging Dominic"Your wife looks beautiful no Dominic?" His voice held edge.

"Yes, my lord." He glanced at Jacqueline again.

"Hmm you seem to be observing your wife save that for later not now" The men in the room chuckled now, thinking it was a joke. When Francis had a serious undertone.

"Of course, my lord." He nodded and inviting them to sit they strode towards the dining room.

The members of the court that did not want to see the new couple were already seated. The room quiet but whispering with chatter, laughter and lies.

The newest group including the King entered the room, all the chairs rose.

The long elegant dining table heavily decorated with fruits, breads and wines. Servant at the sides armed with carving knives and the meat steaming the smell drifting into the entering parties noses.

"Please be seated!" Everyone sat down at Francis command and a grace was said and the food steadily served. Jacqueline observed her surroundings.

"Countess DeFleur," She glanced up, there was a man most likely in his twenties raven dark hair flowing freely behind him framing his smiling face. His clothes almost as free as his hair but all in black he bowed and she gave him her hand.