Chapter 4

Author's Note: She has kept with me this whole story and it makes me smile :D see I'm smiling.

Jacqueline got ready for her punishment as she thought of if, being stuck with that imposing man she wondered if her composition of a lady would last with his flirting and strict manor. She hoped for someone that could make her laugh at least even if he was unfortunate in sight but all she saw in this man was a cold, proper, demeanour with a hint of arrogance.

She spluttered at her joke, a hint of arrogance, what, was he a recipe? She wished she could make a recipe of the perfect man, no coldness would be added. She liked to cook, it was a fun pass time especially when using ingredients from the orient but she was a lady now she wasn't allowed to do such common things.

Twisting her necklace to straighten it, her maid doused her with lavender perfume as she looked in the mirror. A cream and orange dress made in France but cloth imported from England lands, her mother had forced her to wear if to meet her soon to be husband.

The kiss of the hand twice instead of once customary, his voice said more than his words. The way he laughed at her like she was a silly little child, a dog to be corrected. She let the maid adjust her hat before walking down to the landing. "My lord, Dominic,"

He was wearing a light blue shirt and black hose his suit blue it fitted his blue eyes and blond hair. He nodded and taking her hand led her to his carriage. He never greeted her in return, he was irritating. As the carriage moved she tried to learn more from her surroundings.

She did not speak taking it in. The plush golden and red cushions, showing he was of high nobility. The crest of his family beautifully etched into the sides she traced it lightly before he began to talk. "As your husband to be I have decided on where we are going today" He stated clearly.

All this would be mine, as a countess, she frowned she didn't want to be elevated in society, it was not her choice. He cleared his throat.

She nodded at that, unfazed as he continued. "I want you to see your town and have decided on a garden, we will eat lunch then I will return you home and I will be around till we leave for my estate.”

Defeat, her father had won, giving her to a man that was as controlling as he was. Never letting her be like those woman she had read about, ones who had a husband and was equal to him. Women who were happy in their marriages that would be a sweet dream come true.

She knew she wanted a love she could fall into, but it was only fiction. She knew it, the mental abuse she had suffered insured her father’s wishes. She could never say no to him and this tall, strict, unhappy man would expect the same.

He gazed into her face, making her uncomfortable "Yes, my lord," She whispered as he stated his choices and they rode in silence.

The carriage stopped and the driver opened the door for them, she slightly slipped, helping her up ignoring her thanks they walked into the garden. "What do you expect of a man before marriage to him?" She was silent.