Chapter 18

A week later:

Francis rolled off the warm bed, the light hit him on the face and he took off his night gown. The large room he was in was not uncomfortable and he the scent of rose lingered as it had been cleaned that night, and was to be that morning as well.

Opening the window he was calm, the wind blew gently here near to the shore but slightly inland for the relationship between William and his parish members. He relaxed and felt now not as a king but a normal man, after seeing Dominic's disgusting behaviour he had knelt in his private chapel for hours. Francis needed relief, he needed a friend without connections and he had left court deciding to go to William for comfort.

The priest had been an accepting host, gracious and polite and he had offered his servants for his disposal but that was exactly what Francis did not want. He had dismissed them all with a flicker of his hand and demanded no one knew of his presence.

Instead he had been given this haven of privacy, clustered with books for his leisure and a warm flickering fire he had enjoyed the two days he had been here. An apple cut and washed for his morning appetite before breakfast, he took a slice and ate.

It was crisp in his mouth and he took the other half and let his long black hair tumble down his back.

Grabbing his clothes off the chair they were on he noticed the neatness of its condition. It must have been pressed, white and long sleeved it fitted him perfectly however it was not his. Frowning slightly he put on his pantaloons and tied his hair in a ponytail before putting on his boots. Shined to perfection he knew that someone had been in his room, and he would demand why.

However instead of commenting at that moment he let the light stream into the room and opened he bedroom door walking out.

Heading towards the parlour Francis was still in awe of the tiny house. There was barely any furniture but the simple rugs and tapestries on the wall were tasteful and somehow suited William.

He sat down in the warming room, the flames flickered and everywhere, the door was shut light streamed from the side windows but the grand one had not been opened. Francis closed his eyes in peace before a knock and a cough startled him awake.

"Good morning your majesty," William bowed low as the king sat in his parlour room, Amelia was in tow behind him holding some two bowls with a younger girl in tow holding two cups.