Chapter 15

Dominic hadn't returned to their room as she expected, holding her stomach. She had peered at her stomach a bruise beginning to form. The tender feeling already apparent, her childhood flashed in her mind.

Jacqueline's stomach rumbled, she had not eaten all day, at home she would only miss one meal but due to nerves and Dominic's punishment she had not eaten all day. Clenching her stomach she lay on his bed, trying to fall asleep. It was afternoon but that's how desperate she was.

There was a knock. "Come in,” Jacqueline called, slowly turning around she saw that there were three maids. One had a large tub and had placed it down, whilst the other two carried water and some herbs.

"His lordship requires we draw you a bath, my lady,” Jacqueline nodded as they began working, pouring the herbs into the water; it was unusual she sniffed it, there was a jasmine scent. She loved Jasmine but hadn't told him so instead enjoyed the smell.

They undressed her, she felt timid normally undressing herself but she must get used to it. She slid into the bath, it relieved her. "This is Jasmine, non?" She asked the maid that had the herbs, the other two had left.

Scowling they hadn't even curtsied. Leaving the 'lady' to her cleansing, they held no respect for her.

"Oui, Madame" The young girl nodded giving her more showing her how to make the scent burst out. She tucked a brown lock into her coif. She had a dark bruise; on her face purple it was almost as dark as Jacqueline's.

"Are you my personal maid?" The young girl shook her head and passed her a rose scented towel.

"No, my lady I am a trainee maid" She turned around as Jacqueline got out the tub wrapping the towel around her body.

"What is your name? How old are you? Who is your trainer?" The young girl looked startled as the countess asked her questions about herself, sitting on the bed she tried to snatch the cream off her, but failed.

"It is my duty my lady to you," She continued creaming Jacqueline's leg." My name is Alice Conners, my lady. I am fifteen, madam and I have no trainer. I just do what jobs are required of me," She whispered, never been able to talk to anyone so friendly, why the countess of the household?