Chapter 12

"Good morning," Dominic stated as Jacqueline sauntered into the room, head bent down she coldly ignored him and began sipping the broth in front of her.

It was slightly soothing to her sore throat. She had caught a slight chill and had been ordered by Dominic on pain of a beating to only drink hot things. She was an invalid to him.

The room ticked silently, the large windows were open and the breeze more a storm but Dominic too irritated to close the damned windows. The room smelt of oak, Dominic's scent especially since he had just finished riding and had bathed.

He had been riding since morning, every day for the past two years he had ordered from the horse master whom he had never met to have a horse saddled, every morning.

 The servant had complied with a simple note to the master it would be prepared every morning with a flask of lemonade and a gun in case of emergency.

He would ride through his lands and return to have breakfast prepared in his dining room. He wouldn't change because of her. The butler bowed towards the countess, and doing her husband's job pulled the chair out for her. Smiling lightly she sat down in the plush seats.

Dominic's home had been adorned with some royal colours; the morning dining room had been decorated in light colours, greens and blues. White large curtains had been drawn by the servants this morning and the serving staff had made sure the room fitted with the plates.

They wouldn't want to set off the earl’s ire.

Jacqueline took the food offered and ate slowly. “How are you?" She looked at him his knuckles white clenched tightly as he read his paper his blond hair sticking up slightly above it since his face was still visible. His eyebrows anyway, but she could see they were not relaxed.

Jacqueline ignored his question feeling there was some hidden demeanour behind it and stated her message loud and clear. "I am going out today my lord and there’s nothing you can do to stop me I am bored of being an invalid."

Jacqueline was quiet, touching the flow of her lilac dress, her favourite shade she had not thanked the maids that brought them instead wore the dress and was now glaring at her husband. "You will not go out" He said tightly. "You’re not well and even if you were I don't think you deserve that right."

She laughed inwardly. Of course not husband dearest. Your wish husband dearest. Dominic's glared held that want of obedience but she wouldn't falter. "Dominic I am going out and a horse has been saddled for me I will be back by dinner."

Dominic glared at her "You will not go out as your husband I forbid it"

She smirked; of course he would insert his husband authority here.

"Wipe that insolent smirk off your face."

She smirked more to annoy him, he then threw the newspaper onto the ground. Holding his head in his hands he started breathing deeply.