76- My Dearest James

*Letter from Lily Evans (18) to James Potter (18)*

My dearest James,

I understand that you've been doubting that my love is entirely yours. You have been ever since school. So I thought it was time that I wrote this letter to set things clear, this may end up hurting you even more, not that I wish for it to do so. At all. But at least it's the truth and I know that you can't bear living not knowing entirely where my loyalties lie. You think I still have some part of me that loves Severus. You're not entirely wrong. But the love I evoked for Severus is nothing compared to the one for you. My love for you is orange, red. It's bright. It's a flame that burns tall and proud. It's a flame that cannot be blown off, it will shine bright forever. It's a flame I can be proud of. My love for Severus, or the love I had for Severus, is dark, rising out of the shadows of my heart. It's a tiny bit of hope that I still have in me, the hope that he hasn't gone bad. That he hasn't joined the Death Eaters and done something that he'll regret. It's not a flame of hope that we can be together again, because that's over. That part of my life is gone. No, it's a flame that maybe isn't love. Maybe it's just the feelings I still have left for him: a bit of nostalgia, a bit of hope and a bit of regret. So I beg you to never, ever feel inferior to him, or that you have to share my love. Because I don't love Severus, but I do love you James. With all my heart. Just understand that sometimes it's hard to let go.

-Lily x

A/N

Thank you so much for over 72k views, it's crazy! Your comments are all so lovely and kind and I wish I could just squeeze you all to death. Well maybe not to death ;)

Love,
-P