69- A day alone with the kids? You must be kidding!

"Alright Harry, I'm leaving now." Ginny called from the entrance hall.

Harry, who was being trampled on by 8 year old James, 6 year old Albus and little four year old Lily, grunted.

"Harry?" his wife called anxiously. "Are you sure you're alright?"

"Yup I'm-" Harry's voice trailed off as Albus sat on his face, bum wriggling and his face strectched up in a huge, triumphant smile.

"Harry?"

"Oh for heaven's sake Albus, get OFF!" Harry heaved Albus's bum off his face and stood up, easing out of the folds in his striped pyjamas. "I'm fine Gin."

Ginny sighed, shutting the door closed again and abandoning any hope of leaving for lunch with her friends. "Perhaps it'd be best if I stayed." She took out her phone to text her friends and let them know she wouldn't be coming.

Ginny- Sorry girls, no chance of leaving and coming back with the kids still alive. It'll have to be without me.

Catherine- Aww come on, pleaseee!

Isabelle- It'll be no fun without you :(

Ginny- sorry iz, cat, maybe next time-

Ginny paused in her text as she heard Harry stumbling down the steps, along with two other light pairs. Moments later he appeared in the stairway, Lily on his shoulders and the boys holding his hands.

"No Gin, please, I'll manage I swear!" he pleaded, smacking Albus' hand away from his bum. "Honestly Lily, anyone would think you have ants in your pants." he sighed, referring to the way Lily was wiggling on his sagging shoulders.

Ginny narrowed her eyes. "I still don't think-" she broke off as Harry literally pushed her out the door. "Oh alright, I'll go!" she rolled her eyes and rapidly climbed into the car. She resumed writing her text:

-actually, no- scatch that, I'm coming x

Catherine- Go girl!

Back in his house, Harry was already regretting his decision and sighed, resigning to the kitchen where he started cooking sausages after sending the kids upstairs to play.

"Is that sausages daddy?" Lily climbed down the stairs, eyes wide.

"Yes sweetie," he heaved her up onto his hip, holding her with one hand and turning the sausages with the other.

Lily leaned in close to her father's ear. "Can I tell you a secret daddy?"

Harry beamed at her. "Of course sweetheart, what is it?" He set her down on the high, wooden kitchen counter, her little legs swaying in the air.

"I like Ben, from school." she giggled.

"No lovers until you're eighteen babe." he laughed, kissing her forehead and then returned to crushing his potatoes.

Lily crossed her arms and glared daggers at him.

"Don't you stare at me like that Lily Luna Potter!" he chuckled, shaking his head. "It's eighteen and that's final. I don't want my little princess taken away from me just yet!"

Harry pouted and wiped his eyes, pretending to be upset, and almost immediately, Lily's face relaxed and she patted the top of her father's dark messy haired head.

"Don't worry daddy." she assured him very seriously.

An hour later, they had all eaten the sausages, mash potatoes and apple sauce.

"Right, up to bed everyone!" Harry ushered everyone upstairs.

"But daaaad-" Albus moaned at the entrance to his blue room.

"No buts Albus, you're having a nap and that's final."

He grinned at his sudden authority and overlooked as Albus grumbled and reluctantly climbed into his bed. He was asleep in seconds.

Next one, the dark haired man thought wearily, and not an easy one. He stared pointedly at Lily, whose flaming red hair had been tied back into a cute little bun earlier by her mother.

Of course, she immediately refused to go have a nap, but Harry would have none of it; all he wanted to do was rest and shower. Lifting his little daugher by the waist, he "flew" her like an aeroplane into her light green, flowery room.

"Rest now dear." Harry kissed Lily's forehead and sat down at the edge of her bed for a couple more minutes. Her eyes steadily closed and her breathing deepened.

Sighing in relief, he gingerly tiptoed across the room and cautiously closed the door before rushing back to safety downstairs.

James, his messy light brown hair sticking up in odd places, was laying on the sofa, his favourite cartoon playing.

"I don't have to nap. Mummy said so." he explained immediately after spotting his father beside him.

"If Mummy says so then we're good." he laughed and pulled a blanket over his son's body. "I'll be upstairs if you need me, buddy."

James just briefly nodded, his concentrated gaze still firmly focused on the TV screen.

Harry slipped gratefully under his covers, falling asleep in minutes, wondering how Ginny ever managed to get through the day without a nap. Women, he smiled to himself, I'll never understand them but I'm sure glad they exist.