Chapter 35

12:30 p.m
Flip's Resturant
Beyoncé Giselle Knowles

I sit in Robyn's car, listening to some music. I decided to skip out on lunch since my appetite seemed to have disappeared after Robyn's mama told me about Robyn's past.
It turns out that the last time she was here in the Barbados, she proposed to her ex, Kehlani. She never came back because of the feelings it left in her. After Robyn found out about the baby, she lost contact with the world for months and she drunk herself into oblivion.
Then, about two months after the incident, she tried to commit suicide. Her best friend, Melissa, found Robyn in her bathtub with her wrists slit. Robyn was lucky to survive. Then, that was when she started her player ways.
As I process the information, everything seems to fall into line. The reason why she randomly fell out in the museum. The reason she was looking so glum on the plane. All her actions from the moment we left my house in L.A., to her actions here.
I hear a knock on the passenger side car window, startling me. I whip my head to the right and see Robyn standing outside.
I unlock the doors and watch as Robyn gets in and closes the door.
"Wassup? Why aren't you in the restaurant?" She asks, turning her body to face me.
"I'm just not hungry." I mumble, looking away.
I feel Robyn's thumb underneath my chin and she turn my head towards her.
"What's up? Tell me what's going on?" she asks, her bright green eyea boring into mine.
"It's just... What's up with you?" I ask, hesitantly.
She blinks her eyes twice, breaking eye contact for a moment.
"I told you it's just the change of air," she responds.
"Are you sure?" I ask.
I didn't mean for my voice to come out so confrontational, but it did.
Robyn narrows her eyes,"what do you mean? You know something, the way you confronting me?"
"I know everything now," I mumble, looking down at my hands.
Robyn's silent for a minute. I look up and see that she is sitting back in the seat with her hands covering her face.
I sit back in my seat and a heavy silence follows suit. The only sound that is heard is the soft reggae music playing from the radio.
After a minute, I can hear a deep sigh from Robyn.
"I knew she was gonna say something," Robyn mutters.
"Are you mad?" I ask, hesitantly looking over at her.
"No, princess," she says, reaching over and grabbing my hand.
I feel sparks fly through my body, making my body jolt.
She kisses my hand softly and holds it. I glance at her and see that she's clenching her jaw.
"What's wrong?" I ask.
"When are we going to see your mom?"
I sigh, totally forgetting about her.
"Tomorrow," I breathe out.
"So that means we have to leave late tonight," Robyn says.
I groan at the idea,"why can't we leave tomorrow? It's so peaceful here."
Robyn chuckles,"hush, girl. You just don't wanna face your mama. I won't go if you don't want me to."
I fall silent, thinking about taking her up on her offer.
"No," I finally say,"I wanna get it over."
"Ok, then." Robyn says, smiling.
"So... What took you so long to get here?" I ask.
"I ran into some old friends," she says, looking out the front windshield window,"you wanna go in and eat or..."
"I kinda wanna do something else," I say, hinting at the beach I saw behind the Fenty household. "Oh?" Robyn asks, glancing at me and raising her eyebrows.
I finally get on to where her mind is and my face starts burning.
"You know what? I wasn't even-"
"Hey, hey. You said it. Not me." Robyn says, raising her tattooed hand.
I yank my hand out of hers and get out the car.
"Where you going, mama?" Robyn asks, getting out the car.
I walk over to the passenger side of the car and tell Robyn,"take me somewhere and surprise me."
"Surprise you? Ok." Robyn says, rushing over to the driver side.

About 20 minutes later, the car is parked and I can hear the distinct crashing of waves. I look up from my phone and gasp at the sight before me.