ı 26 ı The Last Time

Start from the beginning

"Where is Klaus's body?" Alaric demands, moving James to hold him in a choke hold. James grabs at his hands that closes around his throat, but Alaric is too strong. Esther made him stronger.

"G-gone," James gasps. He then looks at me and mouths the words 'run'.

Alaric notices this and instantly snaps James's neck, but I'm long gone before I see that allowing me to only hear the sound of bone twisting and breaking. I sprint fast with vamp speed around the hallways, hiding around corners letting my ears be my eyes.

My breaths are heavy and quick and my heart is racing but it immediately stops as I hear the ding of the door. Rebekah.

"Hello?" I hear her call.

I take a risk and sprint over to the elevator, whizzing past it, shoving Rebekah along with me out of plain sight so we're hidden.

I take her around the corner and she shoves me back angrily, but I quickly press my finger to my lips whilst making frantic gesticulations. "Alaric," I whisper, making her eyes grow wide.

We hear a sound of a locker room door banging open, making us jump. It's fairly close, meaning we need to move. We need to get to Klaus body, and we need to find James. Rebekah doesn't ask any questions, but rather follows along knowing Alaric is in possession of the only weapon that can kill her. Rebekah and I have never been friends, but that doesn't matter at the moment. We both want Klaus alive.

Together we quietly make our way around the building, hugging the walls and checking each corner. I feel like I'm in a spy movie of some sorts, and I don't like the feeling one bit. I don't like the feeling that Alaric may jump out at us any moment, taking away any chance we have at getting out of here.

As we turn down the corner to the hallway that contains Klaus's coffin, a tall male figure appears in front of us, sending us stumbling a couple feet back in fear. The figure jumps back too, startled by our presence. It's only then do I realize it's James.

He nods at Rebekah and I, nudging his neck down the hallway, motioning us to follow him. Quickly we unlock the locker, pushing Klaus' coffin back down the hallway and into James's truck. We turn the corner and I see the truck, giving me hope that we might actually make it out of this.

Just as the tip of the coffin reaches the truck, I'm thrown backwards, slamming into the hard wall.

Alaric marches towards the coffin, but James quickly intervenes and shoves him back. The forces sends Alaric surprisingly a few steps back, but he quickly regains himself only to throw James beside me against the wall. Rebekah turns to run but Alaric smashes her head against the truck before shoving her out of the way. By now Alaric has made a clear path for himself to the coffin, and it's crystal clear how everything will play out.

Alaric opens the coffin, revealing a desiccated Klaus wrapped in chains. He raises the magical stake, giving us no chance to argue as the stake is plunged into Klaus's heart, instantly igniting his body in flames.

"NO!" James roars.

"Niklaus no!" Rebekah cries, sobbing hard as she watches her brother go up in flames.

I just stand there, watching as it all plays out. I feel like an audience member, along for the show. I feel every emotion, but all I can do is watch. There's nothing I can do. Nothing I can do to stop Alaric from killing Klaus. I know what it all means. I know that James and Joel will now die. Possible my brothers too, possibly Caroline, and most certainty Tyler. A million birds, instantly killed with one stone.

It feels weird watching Klaus burn. It should feel better seeing as the bastard deserved it, but even after everything he's done I don't wish anyone death. Putting aside the fact Klaus needed to be alive in order for James and Joel to live, I can't shake the feeling that I wanted him alive. It's a feeling deep inside me that I can't shake, that I don't understand.