Chapter Thirty-Four

Logan's heart was pounding in his chest, faster than he'd ever felt in his life. He had the biggest case of butterflies and he was so damn nervous.

His friend Jake walked in.

"Mr. Slater is getting married today Ladies and  Gents!" He shouted with glee, laughing and opening his arms.
Logan Chuckled, "How many people are out there man?" He asked.

Jake whistled low, "You don't want to know buddy. It's more than either of us thought." He said.
"That bad?" He asked, his heart rate speeding up.

"You nervous?" He asked.

"Like a little school girl with a crush." He smiled.

Jake roared with laughter. "Nice buddy. Do you believe she's the one?" He asked, looking up at Logan with a serious look.

"I do man." Logan whispered.

"That's all that matters then." Jake smiled.

"Look, Jake. Thank you for being my best man. I couldn't have asked a better man. You're my best friend and I love ya man."

"Hey, save the emotional talk for the girl, not me." Jake smiled and patted Logan's back.

"I'm ready." Logan whispered. Jake opened the door and they both headed to the tree. Nikole insisted on getting married under the tree in the park, where Logan and her shared their first kiss. It was Nikole's day, so he was ok with whatever she chose. He just wanted forever with her, and she was giving it to him. He smiled at that thought, so lucky to have her.

He waited under the tree, Nikole came out of the tent and she was so stunning. Her dress was breathtaking, a strapless with diamonds on the front. Her hair was up elegantly and her makeup applied just perfectly.

She smiled at him as she walked up the small path of flowers created by the little girls.

Logan smiled back and his heart rate accelerated.

When she got up to him they held hands and stared at each other. Logan forgot all about the hundreds of people watching them. All he could see was Nikole.

The pastor cleared his throat, ready to start. Two things happened, Nikole frowned and looked as if she were far away. Then, she held up her hand at the pastor. The pastor, surprised stopped and looked at her confused.

"I can't marry you Logan." She whispered, surprising herself.

"What?" Logan whispered, his heart sinking.

Her face became agonized with pain. "I love you and your daughter more than I thought I could ever love anybody. But your heart's confused Logan, and I think I've always known it. I guess I was always hoping I could be your light in the darkness, there's an epic love in your heart Logan. It's just not meant for me. And neither was this." Nikole took off the engagement ring and set it in Logan's Palm. Her eyes watered up, but she brushed the tears with her fingers. She hiked up her dress and ran away from Logan, from the park. She ran away from everything, crying.

Logan didn't know what to say. He threw his arms halfway in the air and then let himself fall to his knees. He watched where Nikole had run away, she was gone and it felt like his heart was broken in a million pieces and he couldn't breathe. Tears fell from his eyes, as he watched the empty direction Nikole ran. He cried, in front of hundreds of people, but he didn't give a damn.  

Jake stared at Logan, feeling for him. He was still on his knees, a couple of tears falling down his cheeks.

He walked over to Logan and knelt beside him, "Dude, she's the one for you. You said so yourself. Go get her." He whispered harshly. Logan looked up at him, then stood up and ran in the direction Nikole took off.

When he got to the house, the first place he figured she would be he found it empty. He ran out the door and thought of the second place she might be. The bridge over looking the lake where he told her he loved her for the first time. She wasn't there either. He could only think of one other spot.

The river, facing the mountain with the open skies and great fields where he proposed to her. She had to be there. Why she would be in his proposal spot when she just walked out on the wedding, he couldn't guess. But he had to try.

When he parked his Truck in the gravel, he took off jogging through the woods.

He got to the river, and he saw her. Her back was to him, she was holding a rose in her hand, staring at the mountain. She had changed out of her wedding dress and traded it for a orange sweater and jeans with her boots.

"Nikole?" He said quietly.

She didn't speak, she didn't turn.

It was quiet a moment.

Then, "I know you have every reason to worry. I won't lie, I do love Faith. She is an amazing women Nikki. Do you remember speaking those words Logan?" She whispered.

Logan didn't answer. Instead, he looked down knowing where she was going with this.

She turned around, "Do you remember?" She asked again.

He sighed. "Yes Nikki, I do."

"You said it with so much passion, so much love and care I tried to ignore it. Do you remember what you said to me, the day you proposed Logan? I didn't think anything of it, until I stepped under that tree with you. It came to me, and I knew I would never be Faith Thompson, I would never be the girl that you want, I can never be who you want me to be because I'm not her." She said, a tear falling down her cheek.

"What are you talking about Nikki??" He asked, looking up at her.

"The day you proposed to me. . . " She smiled, looking at the water. Then she continued, "You brought me here, to this beautiful remarkable place Logan. You had a dozen roses in your hands, along with a box of chocolates. You got down on one knee and smiled at me. You opened the box and when I saw the ring I was in tears." She said, another tear falling from her eye. "Do you remember what you said to me Logan?" She asked, smiling sadly.

"Of course I do, how could I forget?" He asked.

"Tell me." She said.

"Nikole Whitman, Here we are on top of the stars. I never thought we would make it this far, that you could love me and my daughter this much. We live for moments like this, lost in each other's love. Become alive with each other's dreams. You Nikole, are the light of my life. I always want you, I will always love you, because you became the light in of my darkest moments. This is why I love you so much, because even when I had given up on love, on life, you showed me how great it can be. I love you." Logan breathed, then smiled.

Nikole however, did not. She stared at Logan sadly.

"Does that sound familiar Logan?" She asked, then looked away.

"What? I am not understanding your point of this conversation Nikole." He said, a little frustrated.

"Yes, you do Logan. You just choose not to see it. Or hear it." She said sadly.

"No, I don't."

"You Nikole, are the light of my life. I will always love you because even when I had given up on love, on life, you showed me how great it can be. You told me everything about Faith Thompson when we met. Because you wanted to be honest with me that you still loved her. Those words, that you proposed to me with. . . They weren't mine because you'd already given them to someone. And that someone still holds onto those words every day. Wishing, hoping one day that you will love her again. But what she doesn't know, is that you already love her. More than you can love me, or any women. She is the girl you love. The girl you truly love Logan, and I can't be second to any man. I want to be his first thought, his first priority apart from his children, his first worry. I can't be with you Logan. I'm sorry." She whispered, then rushed off to her car.

Logan stared after her, knowing that he wanted her and only her but there was nothing he could do to change her mind.

"I love you Nikole. I'm going to make you realize that one day, that Faith is no longer in my future. You are." He said.

She stopped, she was fifteen feet ahead. "I don't believe you Logan. I'm sorry. I love you. Goodbye."