Chapter Nine

We stopped at a gas station to fill the jeep up. Its been a week and many more kisses since our first one. I believe I am slowly falling in love with Logan Slater.

"Faith will you go tell them forty on pump three?" He asked as he got out of the jeep.

I nodded and walked in the gas station and waited in line. The next moment a man walked in with a mask and gun in his hand.

"Oh my gosh!" a woman screamed, wrapping her child in her arms.

"Everybody just shut up and get down!" The man yelled.

Nobody moved, we were all too shocked.

"Now!" He yelled waving his gun.

Everybody got down on their stomachs or knees and stared at the man. The child was crying, frightened.

"Shut the kid up, now!" He yelled.

"Shes frightened." I said, on my knees.

He pointed the gun at me. "Did I say you could talk?"

I shook my head. The bell from the door rang and Logan stood there, looking at me. Worry all over his face.

The man spun around and pointed the gun at Logan and my fear went up ten more notches. Logan raised his hands. Never taking his eyes off mine.

"Just calm down man, put the gun down and nobody will get hurt. Alright?" He said, taking a step forward.

"Dont you fucking move! Stay right there." the man said. A girl was sobbing, I looked over an recognized her. It was Elsie, from my algebra class.

"Jack?" Logan said.

My eyes darted to the man, Logan called him Jack... could it be the same guy that molested me? It couldnt be.

"Shut the fuck up Logan or I will shoot you!" The man said.

It was Jack, I recognized his voice.

"Come on man, you dont want to do this. what about football, your future?" Logan said.

I stood up. "Jack." I said.

Jack looked at me, and I saw hatred in his eyes. Logan must have sensed it because he yelled no and then dove in front of me as Jack pulled the trigger. The bullet hit Logan in the chest, on his right side and he collapsed to the floor.

"No!" I screamed. I shot to the floor and grabbed his head, resting it in my lap. I was sobbing uncontrollably.

Jack was shaking, I heard sirens and apparently Jack did to cause he darted out the door.

Logan was breathing hard, "I took a bullet for you Faith. You're that kind of wonderful."

"Shh baby, its ok. You're going to be ok." I whispered, brushing his hair with my fingers. I wiped the tears from my eyes.

"I think I love you Faith." He whispered.

"Dont. You're going to be ok Logan." I cried.

Two paramedics came in with a gurney and lifted Logan on. I followed them, holding Logans hand as they loaded him in the ambulance. They wouldn't let me ride because I wasn't family. I watched them leave with Logan and my heart was breaking. I was finally experiencing my first heart break, and I didn't like it one bit.

At the hospital I walked up to the nurses station. "This is a small town, everybody knows everybody right?" I asked.

The nurse looked at me and nodded.

"Then can you please tell me how I can get in touch the with Logans parents? I'm sure they would want to know their son has been shot."

The nurses eyes filled with sympathy.

"Honey, Logan doesn't have any parents. They died in a para sailing accident when he was just a boy. He did live with his uncle until he got emancipated when he was fourteen. He lives alone."

"What?" I whispered.

"I know sweetheart, its really sad. But hes such a strong young man. He hides it well, and he seems happy. Hes got a great future for himself. His parents made sure he'd have that when he was born."

My heart felt heavy, I never even asked about his parents. Never wondered why I hadn't met them. Poor Logan, and here I was sad because I lost my father when Logan lost both of his parents. I couldn't imagine how that would feel.

"Is Logan awake yet?" I asked.

"Yes, his surgery went fine and I'm told to tell you he'd like to see you."

I was running down the halls, looking for his room number.

When I found it there was a group of his friends talking to him. When they saw me, they all got quiet and backed out. I fumbled my way to his bed, he was watching me with a smile on his face.

"Faith. I've missed you."

Tears started falling. "Are you alright? You look very pale." I whispered.

"I'm fine love. I'm just a little weak from the surgery. I told you I would be alright Faith."

"Why would you jump in front of me like that Logan? That was stupid." I said getting angry.

"It wasn't stupid Faith, that bullet would have killed you. I wasn't going to stand there and watch you get murdered, I can't lose you." He whispered, looking out the window.

I thought of his parents.

"Why didn't you tell me about you're parents?" I asked.

He looked at me, surprised. "How did you find out?" He asked, his voice filled with grief.

I walked over to his bed and crawled in beside him. I lay my head on his chest. "It doesn't matter." I whispered.

"I didn't tell you because I didn't know how. I barely remember them Faith. I lived with my uncle most of my life. He was an alcoholic and I couldn't stand by and watch him drink his life way. So when I turned fourteen I got emancipated and never looked back."

"I lost my father before my fourteenth birthday. He was a fireman, he tried to save a woman and they both died. I know how it feels to lose someone you love. Today, I thought I was losing you." I said starting to cry.

Logan held me tighter, "It won't happen Faith. I'll always be by your side, forever won't ever be long enough for me. I wasn't telling you I think I love you because I was afraid I was going to die. I said it because that's what i feel in my heart Faith."

"I think I love you too Logan." I whispered. He pulled me up so he could look in my eyes. "Promise?"

I leaned in and kissed his soft lips. "I promise."