Chapter 10: Mother Hen

*Wolfie's pov*

*Wolfie's pov*

I was being shaken awake and I slowly opened my eyes to see Steve standing there. 

"Wake up sleepy head." He says with a faint smile. 

"Where are we?" I ask as I sit up and rub my eyes.  

"A safe house. Or so Barton says." Steve answers and I nod, standing up and stretching. 

"Come on." 

We all get off the quinjet and walk over to a large farm house. I raise an eyebrow but notice Natasha smile. We all walk in, Clint opening the door, and Clint calls out. 

"Honey, I'm home!" 

Suddenly a heavily pregnant woman walks into the living room from the kitchen and she smiles. 

"Hello." She says, her eyes scanning over us. 

"Hey dear, company. Sorry I didn't call ahead." Clint says with his own smile as he kisses the woman. 

"This is an agent of sorts." Tony mumbles to Thor and I and I elbow him in the arm. 

"Everyone, this is Laura." Clint introduces after their brief moment. 

"Oh, incoming." Clint suddenly says and two small children, a boy and a girl, run in. 

"Dad!" The little girl yells and Clint picks her up. 

"I see her!" He says playfully and picks her up. 

He leans down and kisses the little boys head and smiles happily. 

"Hey buddy, how you guys been doing?" Clint asks. 

"These are...smaller agents..." Tony whispers and I give him a sharp look. 

"Auntie Nat!" The little girl gushes and runs to Natasha who picks her up. 

"Who's that?" The little boy asks, pointing to me and both he and I'm assuming his sister and Laura looks at me. 

I was still in half wolf form and my tail flicked nervously. 

"That's Wolfie. Say hi." Clint says and Natasha sets the girl down and goes over to Laura. 

I crouch down to their height as the little girl and boy walk over and smile faintly. 

"Hi there." The girl says shyly. 

"Hi, what's your name?" I ask quietly as I look at the two. 

"I'm Lila!" The girls says happily. 

"I'm Cooper" The boy replies. 

"Well, Lila, Cooper, I'm Wolfie Kris Mason. Feel free to call me Wolf or Wolfie." I says and they nod with smiles before running off to go play. 

I stand back up, smiling faintly still and see Thor walk out with Steve following behind. I frown and see Nat and Bruce going somewhere and Tony was nowhere to be seen either. 

"Hey, uh, Mrs. Barton? Do you have a bathroom I can use?" I ask quietly, looking over at the woman. 

Laura and Clint pause their conversation and she looks over at me with a smile. 

"Please Wolfie, call me Laura. And sure, right down the hall to your left. Heroes have to go too right?" She jokes and I laugh faintly. 

"I suppose so. Thank you." I say politely before going to where she pointed out. 

I walk in, flicking the light on and closing the door behind me and locking it. I sigh and look at my reflection in the mirror and let's just say, I looked like death. 

I had faint dark circles underneath my eyes and my skin was pale. My yellow eyes were bright but had no shine to them, like they were lifeless. My appearance had gotten better over the two years I was gone, but I still didn't look like I had before everything went to hell. 

I sigh quietly and turn the water on, splashing it on my face. As I lift my head up and look in the mirror behind me, I could have sworn I'd seen Midnite standing behind me. I gasp, looking behind me quickly, my back against the sink and my hands gripping onto the counter tightly. 

No one was there, though, and it seemed to be in my head. I let out a breath at my stupidity, this seemed like some cliche movie scene and I sigh. 

I shake my head and turn the water off, drying my hands and face before turning the light off and leaving the bathroom silently. I walk towards where I thought the kitchen was and hear quiet, harsh whispers. 

"...kids, she was a criminal!" I hear a harsh whisper. 

"I know, Laura, but Wolfie's good now. She wouldn't have come back to help if she wasn't." I heard Clint says quietly.

"I know...I'm just...worried...you saw the news reports back then. What she caused." Laura whispers and Clint sighs. 

"I know, but trust me, okay babe?" He asks and after not hearing anything, I suppose she nodded.

"Sorry for interrupting, but it's fine. I never sleep much anyways, I'll be fine outside." I say, turning the corner, hands in my pockets. 

They turn to me wide eyed and Laura gasps. 

"Wolfie, I am so sorry! That's not what I meant, we can't put you outside!" She rushes out and I chuckle, walking over and putting a hand on her shoulder. 

"Look, I understand. I did some pretty bad things in my life and karma's coming to get me. But it's fine, I usually spend the nights outside anyways." I say with a smile and she shakes her head. 

"Wolfie, it's fine, you can sleep in Lila's room. Cooper will be in there too." Clint says, looking at me with a 'you-can't-say-no' look. 

"No, I insist. I'll be fine, okay?" I say giving them both a reassuring smile. 

Laura looks at Clint, clearly not knowing what to do and Clint gives me a hard look. I give him one of my own and a few seconds later, he sighs in defeat.

"Sleep in the living room at least?" He questions and I playfully roll my eyes. 

"Fine, but I can't promise I'll stay there all night." I say and He nods. 

"Deal." 

A few hours later I was in the kitchen with Laura, helping cook dinner. 

"Wolfie, I'm sorry about what happened earlier, It was out of line of me. Especially after what you've been through and how much you've done to save lives." Laura says, pausing from her stiring the mashed potatoes.

"It's okay, I know you just had the best interest for your children." I say, giving her a small smile as I place the chicken in the oven. 

"I know...I just, feel bad. Is there any way I can make it up?" She asks, looking at me with pleading eyes. 

"I'll tell you what, after all this is over, you can send me some muffins, okay?" I say and she brightens up. 

"Of course. It's the least I can do." She says and the rest of the time cooking is spent with us making small talk, a few jokes and laughing. 

It felt...weird. I'd never done this before and I felt a small bond with her. I'm 23 but I still felt like a child and it could have been all in my head, but I just felt her mother presence and it calmed me. I could tell Lila and Cooper were very lucky to have her as a mom. 

______________________________________________________________________________

Here is an extra long chapter! It's sad how Wolfie never knew her mom and Laura is like a mom figure to her now. It's funny and sad and I almost cried writing it. Lol, anyways, thanks for reading and remember:

~We will Avenge and Prevail, we are the Fallen Angels~

-TheHumanExperiment1