A New Soul

Gaster and Alphys have been working very hard on something that they won't tell me about.

I think they want to tell me but keep forgetting because they've been working so hard.

Asriel and Frisk always stop by to see how I'm doing.

Honestly, I'm doing worse. I still get pains in my soul. It's all that's on my mind.

"Sorry I couldn't come sooner. Undyne wanted to talk to me." Asriel says sitting next to me.

I don't say anything. There's nothing I can think of saying.

"Are you ok?"

"I'm fine. Just need something to get my mind off of everything."

"We'll look what I brought." He hands me my phone.

I smile. "Thanks Azzy. You know me so well."

I instantly turn it on and go into my music. I put on some Melanie Martinez and put my phone on the table next to me.

Asriel gives me a look that says, Really?

"What? I haven't listened to music in what, three months?"

"I don't like thinking about those three months."

"Come 'ere." I get closer to him and kiss him.

"Chara." Alphys says coming upstairs.

I jump off of Asriel. "Gosh, don't do that. You scared me."

"S-sorry. I j-just  need you to c-come  downstairs. W-w-we need to sh-show you s-something."

Alphys walks back downstairs.

I get up and stumble a little. It's been so long since I've gotten up.

Asriel catches me before I fall. "You ok?"

"Yeah. Just a little rusty, I haven't walked in forever."

Asriel helps me downstairs. Alphys brings us to a room with a huge machine.

Gaster is working on something in the back of the room.

"C-come, it's b-back h-here." Alphys says and leads us to where Gaster is working.

Once we get to the back of the huge room my chest starts hurting.

I grab Asriel's hand and squeeze it. "Ugh!" I groan.

Asriel clenches his other hand in pain.

I let go slowly and calm down.

"You have a strong grip." Asriel says.

I take a couple breaths. "What did you want to show me?" I ask Alphys.

"This." Gaster comes in with a canister. In it is a small red heart, a soul. "It's an artificial soul."

"Meaning it's fake." Asriel says.

"Yes but it's better then her broken soul. We've figured out it's impossible to fix her soul so we made a new one." Gaster explains.

"Will it work?" I ask.

"I-it's a l-l-little unstable b-but it should w-work." Alphys says.

"Unstable?" Asriel and I ask in unison.

"Do not worry. It will work just as your old soul does." Gaster says.

"I don't know about this one. It's sounds unsafe." Asriel says.

"Oh come on Asriel, if they say it works then it works. They're scientists." I say.

"If she doesn't get a new soul soon, she won't make it."

I get very worried when Gaster says that. I can tell Asriel is worried too.

"I think we need a minute to think a little." I say and take Asriel out of the room.

"There has to be another way. We don't know what will happen if it doesn't work." Asriel says.

"There is no other way. You heard them, it's impossible to fix my soul. So what if it's unstable, they said it's going to work. If I don't get a new soul, I'll die."

"But-"

I kiss him before he could finish. "This is going to work. Just trust them."

We walk back to them and I say, "Let's do this."

Alphys sits me down on some hind of fancy dentist chair and sends Asriel home.

Once Asriel leaves she puts wires and tubes over my arms and body.

I start getting butterflies in my stomach. I'm not to sure about this plan anymore.

Alphys tells me the plan. They're going to take my soul and put in the new one. Easy enough, right?

I go to sleep with the help of some magic and they get started.

When I wake up I'm still in the dentist chair and still have wires all over me.

Alphys walks in the room.

"Did it work?" I ask.

"N-not quite."

"What does that mean?"

"W-when we took the s-s-soul out of th-the canister i-it kind of...exploded."

"What?!"

"D-Dr. Gaster is w-working o-on a new o-one. I-it's almost d-done."

"Why did it explode?!"

"H-he put a l-little to m-much Determination in th-the soul."

I'm in shock. I thought it would work but apparently not. I'm just hoping my soul won't break before Gaster finishes.

"I-I think y-you should g-go ba-back upstairs until we-we're finished."

I get up and go upstairs.

***

It's been a couple days and Gaster still hasn't finished.

I'm starting to think he's never going to finish.

Frisk and Asriel are spending the whole day with me in the lab. They haven't seen me in a while.

"You know you guys don't have to spend the whole day with me."

"We know. We're only staying to bother you." Asriel says with a smile.

"Well you're doing a good job then." I smile back.

All day we blast music and watch videos and movies on Frisk's laptop.

After hours of having fun Frisk's phone rings.

"Oh no, I totally forgot." She looks back up at Asriel and I. "I have to go. Get better soon Chara, I'll see you tomorrow." She says and leaves.

"Oh bye." I say.

"What was that all about?" Asriel asks.

"No clue."

More and more time spent watching videos.

I move to the side and Asriel lays next to me.

"Hey Asriel."

"What's up?"

"Will you still love me when I get a new soul?"

He turns to look at me. "Of course I will. Why would you think that?"

"I-I don't know. I just feel like I'll be a different person when I get a new soul."

"No matter what, I'll always love you."

A/N
The soul Chara was supposed to have exploded. Will the next one be better? Thanks for reading!