Chapter 9 - A Faceless Murder (Marco D'Este)

Chapter Nine – A Faceless Murder (Marco D’Este)

*****

‘Every murder turns on a bright hot light, and a lot of people...have to walk out of the shadows.’ ~Albert Maltz

*****

Sometimes I wake up in the morning and wish I had never woken up at all. This was one of those mornings and later on, I’d find myself wishing I’d stayed in bed all day. I sat up groggily as the curtains were pulled open, squinting against the harsh light and slumping back down into my pillows. “Please, it’s too early,” I said, turning over.

“Your father requested you get up, Signore.” I frowned at the unfamiliar voice and peered up through the blankets to see the new servant I’d encountered just a few days ago. He wore the same mask, he had the same posture and, yet again, he stood asking his questions. “Tea, Signore?

“Why do I have to get up? The sun has barely risen.” I sighed, swinging my feet off the side of the bed and rubbing my eyes. I hadn’t slept particularly well that night. For some strange reason, my dreams had been filled with creatures of the night and...magic. I groaned, hoping I hadn’t been charmed or something, I hoped the magic hadn’t gotten to me because, well, I’d struggle to find someone willing and able to fix it.

“You must, your father requested it. Your mask, Signore.” I was getting frustrated when I took the mask from him and tied it at the back of my head. I was tired, I wanted answers and I was fed up of having to wear a mask all the time indoors. Did it really bother the man so much to see my face?

“Thank you,” I said, “but I must go and see my father and ask him the meaning of all this.” As I passed the mirror I caught sight of my reflection and stopped dead, staring at the mask on my face. It was silver and had a metallic sheen about it. I blinked my dark eyes behind it and slowly raised my hand. It was cold to touch, smooth. Several jewels glittered in elaborate designs at the side, real or not, I had no idea but they were definitely eye catching. The mask only covered half of my face so it wasn’t fit for a ball, but it could definitely pass for a festival mask. I gestured to my face and looked over at the servant “this mask...” I began.

“Your father said you must wear it, along with the clothes set out.” My eyes swivelled to the frock coat and fancy shirt hanging outside the wardrobe. What on earth could the occasion be? I’d barely made it out of the door when I came face to face with my father. “Padre-“ I began, but my father but me off.

“Marco, leave the mask on, get dressed and come and find me as soon as you can. We have some important people to meet and we can’t afford to be late.” He eyed me carefully before he said “and please, make sure you comb your hair.” With that, he left, walking back to his room.

*****

It was a quiet morning, barely anyone was about. The sky was of a pink hue as the sun rose, the shade cast onto everything below. I pulled out my pocket watch and glanced at the numbers that showed it was only half seven in the morning. I stifled a yawn and followed my father blindly down the street, tugging at the uncomfortable tie around my neck. “Leave it, Marco.” Said my father without even turning round.

“Yes, Padre.” I said, hurrying to catch up with him “you haven’t told me, where are we going?”

My father sighed “we are here now, you’ll see soon enough.” I looked up towards the building in front of us and my heart dropped. It felt as if it had fallen into my shoe and with every step I took I trod it further into the ground.

“The Council?” I whispered “we’re going to see the Council?”

“Yes, my boy, we are. I’m sure you’ve heard of the murders, the disappearances recently.”