24. Hometown

Welcome to Alabama

I bit into my lip and sat up, turning my head to face Nalen who drove quietly. I could feel the heaviness in my eyes, as they begun to water. I touched his arm and he looked over at me considerably before looking back at the road. "Do you want me to pull over?"

I nodded, really needing some fresh air. A gas station was up the road and he pulled over in its lot. I opened the car door and took deep breaths feeling the tears fall down and i couldn't catch up with my breaths. The entire ride was fine, fun even and it felt so normal, everything was alright i was just on my way to my hometown.

But now that i was here...

I was actually here and it dawning on me that this road trip was not originally for the fun but for me, and my past. Nalen hand rested on my cheek and lifted my face up to stare into his calm, steadfast eyes. "How you feeling?"

"Like i cant believe i let you talk me into to this" i breath talking slow breath.

He smiles "its getting late nothing has to be done tonight and if you not ready in the morning then we can go to the zoo or some jazz bar or go back home"

"A blues bar sounds more fun"

"Then that's what'll be" he signed and opened my door. "Come on these mosquitoes not playing no games out here"
I laughed and got into the car. I looked at him as he got into the car and started it "i never in a million years thought I'd be doing this... Is it to late to go back?"

Accelerating back onto the road, he only smiled but kept driving.