Chapter 28: Googly Eyes

Luna’s night wasn’t the coziest of all and it has nothing to do with the fact that Isabelle was nowhere to be found. It was that her dreams were very realistic that it seemed very real, but it wasn’t since she saw herself in the third person’s view. Burst of red hot flames burst out of her arms as she wore a hand knit dress from Cheveyo, an orange one with a big cat’s face in the middle that had its tongue out. Her skinny red leggings and red flats really screamed out fire. She wasn’t alone, by her side was another girl; not Isabelle, Jessica and not even the female twin. She was a few inches smaller than Luna in a plain black clothes and jeans that matched her black combat boots. Her hair was braided on the side but it was frizzy and all over the place.

Both were heavily panting, they seemed to be working together against another woman who was clearly around her late thirty’s or early forty’s. Her hair was ink jet black that was cut pixie style, she rocked it nicely. The lady dressed like Martha, elegant and sleek. The black long dress she had wasn’t torn nor affected by the battle. She had beads of sweat coming down her forehead but that was the only indication that she was barely tired unlike Luna and the other girl.

“Ready to die?” the lady in pixie style hair said and run swiftly under her two inch heels. Luna was too scared to watch, her dream self tried to strike a precise hit but the lady punched Luna in the abdomen hard that it extinguished her flames and threw her a few meters away.

The other girl with braided hair lifted her arms, almost trying a levitation technique. It was effective, their opponent flew a foot from the ground trying to catch her breath. Her eyes looked like they were about to pop, scary as she unblinkingly looked at the girl.

“It’s over now.” The braided girl said as she clenched her fist tighter locking the supply of air their opponent was receiving.

Their opponent, raised her arm and pointed it at the girl, with a big sonic boom, the braided girl was thrown outwards. The impact was huge, she hit a tree with so much force that it split into two. The girl groaned as she tried to stand, she was successful but her posture wasn’t right anymore.

“Luna,” the braided girl whispered, even though Luna was far away, she heard her clear as daylight. “Luna,” she whispered again.

“Luna.” This time he voice was really close.

Luna opened her eyes and quite taken aback on seeing Charlie on her bed. “I need to show you something.”

Luna didn’t even have time to think. She stood up and walked where Charlie led her. Nothing was clear to her; she was still in a daze, almost like everything was still a dream. It was three or four in the morning, the core always had people in it no matter what time is it. Two workers were busy with their overtime, sometimes Luna wonder what this guys would be busy about, what actual business the Company did.

“Where are we going?” Luna asked half-awake. She didn’t even know what hallway they were entering but they did make their way in five flights of stairs which was hard to do in the dim light.

“Somewhere, Nel wanted to show you something.” It was getting cold where they were going especially when Luna only had her t-shirt and pajamas on. On the end of the hallway was a steel door, guarder by a sleeping guard. He didn’t wake even though Charlie opened the door which squeaked loudly.

Nel stood up in front of three monitors and in front of him, there was a wall with a big glass window overlooking a dark room. The lights were off but the monitor showed night vision of the twins sleeping.

“What do you want me to see?” Luna peered over to the monitors. Two of them were showing the twins sleeping in two different angles. The other one was turned off.

“I think you need to see this,” Nel turned the other monitor on but it was also just another scene of the twins sleeping. The angle was the ceiling view so the two twins were seen at the monitor. They were in two parallel beds, leaning against the walls to give them space.

Nel pushed a button which rewinds the clip, after two minutes of rewinding, Luna saw what they were talking about. Nel paused the clip and let it play in normal speed. At the place where Patina was lying a ball of light emerged from Patina’s hand, but she was definitely asleep.

“Fire?” Nel asked, “I wasn’t here for that.”

“Probably, the video is to blurry to, I can’t really tell, it looks like fire, or a bug.” Luna said and took a closer look. “Now we know these guys are special, or at least one of them.”

“Yes, but that was it, just a two second long video of something,” Nel said and kept on playing and playing the clip over and over again. The clip was still unknown, it’s too early to tell if it was really fire or something completely else.

“Could she probably be a host of a god?” Luna said already scattering her knowledge of mythology to think of whom among the gods would be a candidate.

Nel scratched his chin and examined the clip. “None of I know, not so many gods are fond of getting hosts anymore, only those required were mostly the ones who does it,” he said and turned the monitor off. “You better get some sleep.” He suggested and at that moment Nel yawned. His eyes started to have red veins, signaled that he need sleep.

“Yeah, I agree,” Charlie said and held Luna’s hand away from the room while Nel just took off in the sofa, he’s too tired that he fell asleep quickly.

Charlie’s hand was warm which Luna always loves whenever she had the time to go out with him. They’ve only been going out for a few days but moments just like that felt really normal.

The Core felt more alive with the additional five people, this time the employees were catching up with some gossip. The lights were also lit up, which gave it a more positive look, but the full grey background it gave was still very dull.

They passed by the giant Venus Flytrap, someone was watering and feeding it. Luna suddenly remembered Isabelle, it was her job, which she explained as hard. Luna worried about her big time, she wasn’t on vacation, she was sure about that.

“Well we’re here,” Charlie said and opened Luna’s door. The hallway was empty giving them privacy.

“Yeah, see you around.” Luna felt like Charlie was waiting for something the way he bit his lip and rubbed his palms together. She was feeling it, a moment of spark. Luna closed in and gave Charlie a kiss on the cheeks. “Good night, or morning.” She hesitated and laughed. “See you later.” Her smile was definitely large and motivated.

Charlie looked satisfied as well as his cheeks gave a faint shade of red. “Yeah, later.” Charlie was about to turn around when Luna took him by the arms and lurched in forward giving him a kiss on the lips. Nobody hesitated and it felt like the longest five seconds of their life.

“See you later,” Charlie felt really great and smiled. He didn’t really turn around, he just stood there astonished.

Luna waved and that’s when Charlie walked around and waved goodbye. She didn’t return back to her room until Charlie was totally gone out of the hallway. Luna watched him walked, he was odd after the kiss but Luna find it funny and quirky.

“Luna and Charlie sitting on a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G.” Somebody from behind sang out of tune. It was Jessica who gave out googly eyes from her room. She was giving a really girly vibe.

“How long have you been standing there?” Luna asked, she was too happy to be angry.

Jessica giggled. “Long enough,” she said and entered back to her room.

Luna didn’t mind, she entered back to her room and returned back to sleep, but she had a hard time having one. She was too happy to sleep, but after awhile she did sleep and this time there were no more nightmares.