Chapter 16: A Cup of Coffee and an Order of Bagels to Go

Luna had a rough long night, her eyes were still refusing to open but it felt to her that she was forgetting something important. She confusingly stared at the clock only to found out that it was five minutes past ten. She remembered Isabelle saying that there was no training for today so she shut her eyes for a moment remembering what it was she was supposed to do at ten a.m.

Nel.

Luna repeated his name once again, Nel. His name came to her mind and immediately she became alert. She frantically stood up and looked at the clock once again, another minute had passed.

The bathroom was unoccupied so Luna tossed water on her face and took a quick tooth brush. She made a quick comb and went to her closet. She took the first thing she saw; the military pants and black shirt with the logo on the sleeve. Procrastinating didn’t mix well with tying her shoes. It took her two tries before she got her left shoe done and had the other one tied nicely after she stay calmed.

She just noticed that Jessica was already missing from the floor and so did her vomit. The rug was cleaned and sanitized. She must’ve been asleep deeper than she thought. Normally the slightest weird sound would wake her but with her sleep interruption and meeting another guardian, even her senses fell asleep.

Isabelle was still asleep though she changed into something comfortable like her white pajamas and purple shirt. Luna remembered her promise that night and she wondered if she’ll ever remember it.

With a final thug on her shoelace, she jogged towards the door when she felt her tummy grumble. “Food,” she immediately thought off. She jogged until she slowed down by the East wing’s entrance. She peeked for a while and saw Nel standing facing away from her. Perfect, she thought. She immediately ran while ducking so she wasn’t noticeable and into the North wing where she took an elevator ride to the nearest canteen, she figured if she was going to be late at least bring some food to ease the mood.

A long line was there to welcome her and it wasn’t the thing she was expecting. She scratched her head and made the decision to forget about the food. When Luna turned around a man with an Italian accent called out to her: “Ey, Pele’s host,” he said and Luna’s attention was caught. She turned around with a big smile even though a nice chat wasn’t her need right now.

“Yes?” Luna said and saw the middle aged man with his hair black and long like he worked for a mafia, he wore a tuxedo on but got an apron on as well behind the counters. He smiled and asked her to go closer.

“What can I do for you madam,” he courteously said with a smile on his face. It definitely made Luna smile and not the hypocrite kind.

“You work here?” she asked as her mouth almost drooled with the breakfast buffet under the glass. There were salads, waffles, eggs and so much more.

“Volunteering for the meantime, and may I say that it is an honor to finally meet you,” he said and took out a notebook and marker from his inner pocket, “would you sign this for me?”

Luna was overwhelmed, she didn’t know how to respond, she was never warned that being the host could make her famous to get this kind of attention. She signed it with a neat penmanship adding a little fire graffiti at the end. “That’s fantastic, if there’s anything you need don’t hesitate to ask.” The man said.

“Actually there is,” she said remembering why she came in the canteen, “I’m in a hurry so could I have two coffee and two bagels to go? I’ll pay them back later, forgot my wallet.” She said and hope for a great answer.