Chapter 3: Salamanders and Fire Starter

Luna took some fresh flowers from the kitchen counter and offered it to her mother’s body. She took her blanket and covered her body as well. Luna looked around her; she heard the wailing of the police’s car closing in. Her neighbor bangs the door asking what’s happening inside, apparently the noises projected by their earlier fight brought in a lot of concerned tenants.

Luna stood up looking at the window. A police car was outside and a pool of citizens chattering around. The doors started to shook as the police forced it open, Luna only stared and waited for what’s about to happen next.

She felt a tingly feeling by her toes, fire started to climb up her foot and all the way to her head. The flame blocked her view, but she didn’t panic. All she saw were the bright colors of the fire, it didn’t burn her clothes or emit warmness but all it did was dance around her body. A few more seconds later, the fire slowly disappeared and so did her apartment. She was in a forest somewhere where there was only darkness and marsh land. She looked at her palms trying to summon fire but she wasn’t able to, she tried on focusing but nothing was happening.

“Where am I supposed to go?” Luna asked herself, she scratched her forehead and looked around. She sat by a trunk of a tree and tried to summon fire, she felt it running in her arms but it won’t just appear. She gave up after an hour or so. She looked around her and heard a lot of rumbling and owl’s hooting. She gazed over the night sky where a full moon rises, the stars were sparkling. Only seven years old and yet she felt like an independent woman.

Pele.” Luna tried to contact her but she can’t. She’s getting frustrated with the forest she had brought her, even though a goddess had possessed her, she still has the city girls heart.

Luna placed her hands on her head and focused, “Pele, come to me,” she focused even more but nothing happen. She sighed and leaned back, her head felt woozy from the endless trying to summon fire and Pele.

Luna’s attention was locked when she saw something from the distance growing brighter. It was very far away, a small dot for comparison from where she was standing. She stood up and followed it. As she went nearer she noticed that the bright item was a small ball of fire which was floating in mid-air. It illuminated the forest with its presence. Luna came closer and touched it with the tip of her finger.

“Fire.” Luna said. She summoned fire with her bare hands with the help from the ball of fire.

“Yes, fire my dear.” Pele came out of nowhere. Luna was startled with her presence. She’s no longer in her black silk dress and armor. She wore a modern army suit and her hair, no longer in flames, was tied in a pony-tail.  She had no feet, she floated just like the ball of fire. Her lips move in synchronize with the words she was saying, unlike before. Pele looked more radiant under the light of the moon.

“It will take time for you to summon your own fire.” Pele said. She touched the ball of fire and it transformed into a little man like creature. It had flaming arms and legs but its head was fire itself. It looked cute in a way and just like a person, it had eyes, but they were big and purely black, it moved around quite rapidly around Pele’s arm.

“It’s adorable.” Luna said. She reached out for it and the creature started playing around her arm, “What is it?”  Luna asked. She was preoccupied by the creature’s charm.