9: MEET KING CARTER

"She told me, "Watch the snakes cause they watching you"".

-J. Cole

King

I was 14 at the time, turning 15 on November 3. Which was a good 3 months away.

"King, ummm... " I looked up from my tv and into the piercing grey eyes of my third girlfriend, and my first victim.

"What-"

"I'm pregnant."

I dropped the lemon heads that I had in my hands and stood up slowly. I mean, I always knew there was a possibility that I was gonna get somebody pregnant. My piece stayed wet.

However, I didn't expect it to happen this soon.

"You lying." I couldn't take care of no kid.

I was still a damn kid myself. My momma was taking care of me.

"No I'm not." Deena flipped through her little messenger bag and got out the pictures of the ultrasound. "13 weeks. "

"What are you gonna do?" She took a step back and looked at me like I was some foreign creature.

"What do you mean? You know my momma don't give a damn about me, so she ain't gonna help. And this little job is barely gonna cover diapers. "

"Well, find something else. I wish you the best of luck, because I know for a fact that it ain't mine. You was a lil loose the first time. Great acting skills by the way."

I know that was shady as fuck because she have her virginity to me, and she was the tightest I had ever had.

"That's how you feel?" Her eyes turned a darker grey, before she started letting tears drop onto my floor.

"Can you leave? " I questioned with authority as I started to pick up my lemon heads.

Deena sat the pictures on top of my dresser before turning to walk out of my room. I soon heard my mom asking her what was wrong, and then the front door slamming.

That was the last I heard of Deena for a while.

But, in like December, my most current girl, Ashanti, dropped another bomb on me. She was pregnant too.

I guess I was sort of in love with her, because after Cameron was born in July, she got pregnant with Mona, who was born early in March, due to Ashanti being stressed all the time.

As you can probably tell, we didn't work out. I was fucking around when Ashanti would piss me off. I would just get the kids every weekend and take them out or something.

It was August. Cameron had just turned 2 and Mona would be 2 in March.

One day , I decided to take them to the park. it was a nice day, and I didn't have to be at 'work' until 9.

"Daddy I go play on the slide." Cameron ran off before I had the chance to respond.

"Cameron get yo butt back here." I picked up Mona and started kissing her face. She smiled and laid her head of curly hair on my head.

My baby was sleepy.

I was walking towards the slide, singing a lullaby to Mona.

"Ant, come back baby." I looked down at the little boy that had ran into me and then fell. He was crying.

I picked him up and held him in my left arm, since Mona was on my right. I looked to the slide, to check on Cameron.

"Hey, lil man. Stop crying. You okay." I had to readjust Mona in order to wipe his tears.