1: PROBLEMS

HOUSTON, TEXAS. HOME OF THE PURPLE SPRITE, CANDY PAINT SLABS, AND SCREWED MUSIC.

"We all go through things. It's your choice to continue , or stay where you at."

I was sitting in my small bedroom , looking out the window at nothing in general. Just staring here and there from the 4th floor of our apartment building.

It was a peaceful silence... One that I wish I could have while I'm living in a house with my father; whoever and wherever he is.

It's summer, so I don't really get out much. Reason being that I don't own a phone. Times is tough when your mother is a crack head.

At least we had water AND lights this month. It's still cold in here because she broke the heater, but I ain't complaining.

Man, I remember the times she would pick me up from school and we would go out for ice cream. I can remember the many times she was wiping sprinkles and fudge off of my smiling, snaggatooth face.

That's what I miss the most about her; that beautiful lady with the curls named Janelle. She used to be everything to me.

Now... Now , she is just a menace to me. I used to go around and tell everybody that she was my mom; Asia Carter's mom.

And I know that's crazy as hell; a Dominican naming their child Asia. But Janelle said it was because my dad is half Asian, and that's who I looked like the most.

Weird way to choose a name? Of course. But, that's me.

"Asia! Come here!" Speaking of names, she don't know how NOT to wear mine out.

"Yes ma'am?" Even though she fucking hates me for whatever reason, I gotta respect Janelle. She birthed me.

I walked into the kitchen where she was holding a bottle of tequila. Some cocaine was on the table, waiting to get sniffed up.

It's really horrible to see her like this but I've tried to help and ended up with a bruised face and a swollen lip on countless occasions.

"I'm leaving for a few days. And you need to get a job because I'm tired of taking care of your fast, grown ass..."

She was rambling on and on about why I should get a job, but I already had one. I was saving up so I could leave this place.

I didn't walk away or interrupt her, that would only result in me getting hurt. So I stayed. And listened. For 5 minutes.

I hadn't even known that I was daydreaming until she slapped the spit outa my mouth. I snapped back to reality as she grabbed her 'issues' and walked out the door, slamming it behind her.

At least I didn't have to worry about her for another 3-5 days. If she was sober when she left, that means she was about to go 'make some more money' for her addictions.

It's sad.

I hopped out the shower , flat ironed my hair, and put on some sweats and a white v-neck. I grabbed my duffle bag and then walked to my window to check and see if anyone was outside.

Taking the stairs to get out of here is something I don't do anymore. Around this time last year when I was leaving out to go to the corner store, somebody assaulted me despite my constant pleads for them to stop.

These people are ruthless , and don't care about anybody as long as they get their fix.

After I climbed down the four story ladder, I walked the four blocks to my 'job' , Pink Kitty.

"Hey Big Mike." I greeted the bouncer, and he nodded his head at me, before walking around the club to the back door and then walking in.

My nose was met with the various scents of stank cats , 'I haven't had a bath in days', and cheap perfume.

"Oh my fucking goodness," I mumbled as I walked to my vanity, covering my nose and mugging in disgust.

I've been working here for 2 years and I cannot get used to that smell. I'll never understand why is it so difficult for these girls to go buy some Dove soap and get it crackin'.

"Problem?" I looked up from my make up bag and into the mirror at Diamond; the 17 year old hoe. She was light skin, with long weave, have you seen me edges, and a stank attitude.

She thought she was the shit, but she couldn't even wash up good. So I thought otherwise. If she took better care of herself and had a better attitude, she would be kinda decent.

"Don't it look like it? And why you concerned? That's you smelling like that," I tilted my head and smiled at her through the mirror making her roll her eyes.

I already fought her ass twice because she don't know how to stay in her place. I would've thought she'd learned.

Maybe not.

"Damn, Diamond. Leave her alone." I finished putting on my cat-like eyeliner and turned around all the way.

My only associate here , Trina, had scared Diamond off and came to sit down at her vanity next to mine.

"We got a lot of people today." I closed my eyes and sighed. I was gonna be here for a while.